Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

4C FED

Absolutum Dominium
Well the low mileage ZQ8 I got from the junkyard is sloppy. So I thought about having it rebuilt but I wanted to see what options are available.
After searching I found what appears to be probably one of the best boxes available, but cost prohibitive for most of us at $515.
http://info.product-finder.net/ats/ATS-670-Power-steering-box.html

After searching Ebay for awhile I found a factory box just like the ATS box but obviously without all of the massaging that ATS does, brand new for $89.00, with shipping. :tup: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ABCA%3AUS%3A11&viewitem=&item=110217506456

For those that are weight concious, I have seen this box listed between 5-8 lbs. lighter than stock.
It also looks like I might need a different steering coupler to mate to the box.
I'll let you know how it works out once I get it installed.
 

MikeRenz

not stock
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

curious of that the ratio is lock to lock. Wondering if you're going to find its a 3.5 or more turn from lock to lock.
 

Syborg Twin Turbo

Syborg Twin Turbo
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

Your other option is a 12 to 1 or 10 to 1 from Flaming Rivers

ps - stay as far away from AGR Steering Boxes - They suck as a company and there warranty sucks

Brand new box put it on the truck and it leaks - Sure send it back but make sure you add $150.00 for non-waranty repairs.

So in my book - stay as far away from them as possible.
 

4C FED

Absolutum Dominium
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

Dunno.
Looks like it's used on these:
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban (2500 Series Only)

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon XL (2500 Series Only)

Anyone know what the ratio is & turns lock to lock?
 

phoonTy

Truckless. For now.
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

4C FED said:
Dunno.
Looks like it's used on these:
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban (2500 Series Only)

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon XL (2500 Series Only)

Anyone know what the ratio is & turns lock to lock?

Being all full-size vehicles, I wouldn't expect it to be a very quick ratio :dunno:
 

4C FED

Absolutum Dominium
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

Considering the way it drives with the Zr1's installed I'm not sure I want the quick ratio.
 

Zewerr

ToeJam is a Poindexter
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

Syborg Twin Turbo said:
Your other option is a 12 to 1 or 10 to 1 from Flaming Rivers

ps - stay as far away from AGR Steering Boxes - They suck as a company and there warranty sucks

Brand new box put it on the truck and it leaks - Sure send it back but make sure you add $150.00 for non-waranty repairs.

So in my book - stay as far away from them as possible.

Interesting to know. I bought an AGR 14:1 box (wish I went with 12:1) and had no problems with it. It bolted right in and was a good price. But I never had a problem with it at all. I wonder if I'm just lucky.
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

Zewerr said:
Interesting to know. I bought an AGR 14:1 box (wish I went with 12:1) and had no problems with it. It bolted right in and was a good price. But I never had a problem with it at all. I wonder if I'm just lucky.

there was another member on here that went through three or four brand new agr boxes in a row... don't know if he eventually got a good one or went back to stock
 

4C FED

Absolutum Dominium
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

Syborg Twin Turbo said:
Your other option is a 12 to 1 or 10 to 1 from Flaming Rivers

ps - stay as far away from AGR Steering Boxes - They suck as a company and there warranty sucks

Brand new box put it on the truck and it leaks - Sure send it back but make sure you add $150.00 for non-waranty repairs.

So in my book - stay as far away from them as possible.
Yeah I saw your post on the Pro-Touring site Marty.
That's what started my quest, when I saw the Lee box on there. I just don't want to spend $400-500 for a steering box.

I also found this on how to improve P/S pump performance.
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm
 

bizkit

bonofied SyTy junkie
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

Didn't John Waller use to rebuild power steering pumps? Anyone have information on that?
 

alwayscode390

pppssssshhhhhtttttttttttt
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

Neat, keep us up to date .. I am days away from installing my USED zq8 box ... getting a new box would ROCK ---
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

Flyin Ryan said:
there was another member on here that went through three or four brand new agr boxes in a row... don't know if he eventually got a good one or went back to stock


That was me I have a box that isnt rusted out of the box, is it good? remains to be seen perhaps Ill put it in the wifes truck, another thing to consider is having a steering place "twek the box" they charge 50.00 around here to rebuild plus parts usually another 25.00
 

rodent

Member
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

My ZQ8 box is also sloppy but only when you're driving straight, you can feel an inch of play. I was thinking about messing with the worm adjustment. A buddy of mine just did that on his Cherokee and it took out the slop similar to mine.

Has anyone messed with the worm adjustment on the ZQ8 boxes?
 

4C FED

Absolutum Dominium
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

rodent said:
My ZQ8 box is also sloppy but only when you're driving straight, you can feel an inch of play. I was thinking about messing with the worm adjustment. A buddy of mine just did that on his Cherokee and it took out the slop similar to mine.

Has anyone messed with the worm adjustment on the ZQ8 boxes?
Don't.
That adjustment is a tension adjustment for return to center.
I tried changing mine & damn near made it dangerous.
 

jjorgensen52

NHSTE - I'm the only one!
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

I had both an AGR pump and an AGR 12:1 billet box go bad on my within 2000 miles. Pump actually threw a shaft seal within about 10 minutes of starting the truck (not covered under warranty). The box had a ton of slop, and when I adjusted it to spec, it developed a hard spot and about 200 miles later locked up entirely (fortunately, on a lift when it happened). Stay away from AGR. I have a ZQ8 box and stock pump now, feels better than the AGR setup did.
 

4.3CPI

New member
Re: Potential "new" steering box for our trucks...

94ish Jeep Grand Cherokees had the 12:1 saginaw box with a quick ratio, the ones out of the 91-96 caprice/impalas were quick and firm too. In the caprice, the distance from the spindle to the tie rod was pretty far, giving the impression that they weren't very tight.

I don't remember where I found it on the net, but there is a page somewhere that gives the specs for many saginaw boxes, like ratio, lock to lock, and how many degrees the pitman is allowed to travel.
 
Top