Purple wire question

fiveoh

Enforcing traffic laws
tell me if I am correct, and correct me if I am wrong.
the purple wire gets burnt up/wears out and cant carry the 12 volts required to start the starter.
causing the the dreaded starter click (even on cold startups) I am correct about this?

the reason I ask is that I bought a 91 z-28 and am having click problems, but the started solenoid is good( I bought a new starter and bench tested it) I am jsut thinking it could be the puurple wire causing this becasue when it does it, it sounds like a the typicall bad solenoid.

what do you think
Ok.gif
 

Flyin Ryan

hated cuz he drives fords
Re: Purple wire question

the purple wire in our trucks are what does get burnt up etc.. that causes the "click click" sydrome but in your case it could be either the soleniod or possibly a dead or too low of a battery.. swap a different battery just for the hell of it.
 

kentuc

Member
Re: Purple wire question

High resistance to the starter. All GM cars have this problem.
The solonoid is not getting the voltage needed to engage the plunger.
It`s an easy fix, with a relay. See many previous posts.
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: Purple wire question

Usually if the purple wire is at fault, it will manifest itself after the vehicle is hot and has been turned off. Attempts afterwards to start it will result in the dreaded "click, click, click" noise of the solenoid trying to close. After the vehicle is allowed to cool, it will start fine. "Hot start" problems are due to the heat from the exhaust components heating up the starting ones. As heat rises, resistance increases. If it is high enough, the voltage won't be able to overcome it and it won't be able to get to where it needs to go.
IMG_0243.sized.jpg

"A burnt purple wire source of "hot start" problems."

As mentioned previously, a "cold start" problem could be from a myriad of sources. Definately rule out that the battery is the source of the problem first thing. Beyond that, check for bad/corroded connections and finally consider that the solenoid or starter itself is at fault. One thing to keep any eye of for on an older vehicle is corrosion of the electrical variety. My bud was having symptoms of the "purple wire" on his F-150 during cold starts. Problem ended up being the ground strap was almost corroded completely it two:
IMG_0514.sized.jpg

"Corroded ground strap on my bud's F-150 before I silver soldered a new ground strap on."
 

kentuc

Member
Re: Purple wire question

That doesn`t look like the ground strap. Ford doesn`t use one on the starter.
That is the positive wire that carries voltage to the starter motor.
Replace that whole thing. The insides are worse than the outside!
 

SY2932

Administrator
Re: Purple wire question

kentuc said:
That doesn`t look like the ground strap. Ford doesn`t use one on the starter.
That is the positive wire that carries voltage to the starter motor.
Replace that whole thing. The insides are worse than the outside!

Hmm, I'm not a Ford guy so I wasn't aware their setup was different ;) . Actually the inside was in pretty good shape dispite the condition of the outside:
IMG_0515.sized.jpg

My bud didn't have much more than two nickels to rub together when his starter went out. So he didn't have a $100 plus to replace it and that was his only vehicle. He was VERY happy when I repaired it for less than $5. That was over two years ago and it still starts fine :cool: .
 
Top