question about chip tuning for open loop

E-Rue

New member
how hard is it to change the program to operate in open loop?

is this just changing one entry in the .bin file, or am i talking about a huge undertaking.

if it is really easy, would someone mind changing mine to open loop? i dont mind spending a few dollars for your trouble.

e
 

myclone

Donating Member
wallyworld is in the hooooouuuuusssseee...

Hey, what was your best run at Mooresville there dead battery guy?? :grin: :razz:

Just curious..
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
It was my last one right after it decided to crank up...I think it was a 7.75 @ 88 with a 1.72 60'

_________________
TE-60, ATR headers, Vortecs, TCS converter, 50# chip, NOS Profogger

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jwaller on 2001-12-12 21:39 ]</font>
 

JoeLutz

New member
Hey if you just unplug the O2 sensor will that work to make it stay in open loop? I know it will throw a code, but just to try it will it work? Thanks man.
 

myclone

Donating Member
On 2001-12-13 00:12, joeelutz wrote:
Hey if you just unplug the O2 sensor will that work to make it stay in open loop? I know it will throw a code, but just to try it will it work? Thanks man.

Sheesh, I know Im gonna get pounced on for replying to this but here goes...

Its my understanding that unplugging the O2 will (along with other SES codes) throw the ECM into "limp home" mode. Not open loop. Limp home is base timing (no advance) and way rich... Just be gentle if Im wrong here ppl cause Im using my TPI knowledge on this.. :razz:

If I am correct then you do NOT want to run the eng in limp home mode. Its going to be running VERY rich which will basically be slow to spool, wash down the cyl walls (eventually), delute the oil with fuel (again, eventually), over heat the cat, foul the plugs, crappy MPG, etc... Just in general run like crap...

If Im wrong (and Im sure I'll get busted on...) then it may be ok..

Better get my flame retardant skivies on.. :grin:

jwaller,

Damn... Those are some good #s (well, to me they are).. Wish I coulda raced ya on that pass with both of us running our best times. Woulda been a good race.

I know, I know you'd have whupped up on me a little but I still think it'd been a good race. Hell, if ya beat me too bad Id just hide my jumper cables from ya till you promised to let me win.. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: myclone on 2001-12-13 00:53 ]</font>
 

jwaller

Evil Genius/SyTy Guru
yeah yeah...nezt time I'll bring my own cables and we can race all day long....maybe a bet....for the girly....
 

myclone

Donating Member
On 2001-12-13 03:15, jwaller wrote:
yeah yeah...nezt time I'll bring my own cables and we can race all day long....maybe a bet....for the girly....

Yeah, well... whatcha gonna hook em too there big fella?? :grin: And further more.....

YOU GUYS LEAVE MY TURBO GIRL ALONE!!! :razz: I found her FIRST!!!!

Buncha damn pervies....
 

smeagol

Active member
Pulling 02 will just set a code, not go into limp home mode. Usually code 12, might hit code 44/45 (lean/rich 02 codes) if you pull while running. So, yah, you'd be in open loop, but you'd set a code.

I'd like to figure out some way to make it so that you had a 'switch' of some sort, to go into open loop when you wanted. Maybe you could disconnect your 02 at startup once, set a code, but that code has no ramification other than to force the car in open loop. Hmmmmmmm

BG
 

E-Rue

New member
Pulling 02 will just set a code, not go into limp home mode. Usually code 12, might hit code 44/45 (lean/rich 02 codes) if you pull while running. So, yah, you'd be in open loop, but you'd set a code.

I'd like to figure out some way to make it so that you had a 'switch' of some sort, to go into open loop when you wanted. Maybe you could disconnect your 02 at startup once, set a code, but that code has no ramification other than to force the car in open loop. Hmmmmmmm

BG

yea, right now, with the O2 unplugged, it runs great, even when the code is set, no fouled plugs, 0 deg knock retard. the problem is, i cant monitor the O2 in datamaster, with it unplugged. BG i know u dont want to get into a bunch of custom chipping but could i get a version 6 open loop chip update? id like to keep my v6 closed loop chip so i can switch back and forth if i want to later.

e-rue@msn.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: E-RUE on 2001-12-13 11:48 ]</font>
 

JoeLutz

New member
On 2001-12-13 11:47, E-RUE wrote:

yea, right now, with the O2 unplugged, it runs great, even when the code is set, no fouled plugs, 0 deg knock retard. the problem is, i cant monitor the O2 in datamaster, with it unplugged. BG i know u dont want to get into a bunch of custom chipping but could i get a version 6 open loop chip update? id like to keep my v6 closed loop chip so i can switch back and forth if i want to later.

e-rue@msn.com

Did you have trouble with KR before you tried unpluggung the O2?
 
Top