questions about corvette rims, please read.

fiveoh

Enforcing traffic laws
ok, i know this question has been asked millions of times, but here goes.

what size vette rims fit on a ty with out using spacers? could i buy 4 rear vette 18 inch tires? and would that work? thanks for input

bryan
 

MyTyphoon1993

Active member
Im pretty sure unless they are custom rims, they will require spacers in the back. And yes all the same size rims would be ok.
 

DanenGraham

Big in the rear
Yeah, you can get 18's but none of the backspacing is corect, so mostlikely you are going to have to get spacers. And dont think Vett wheels are the only thing to use, There are Lots and Lots of BMW wheels that bolt up. (still need spacers)
 

blownamigo

TYed Up Member
No spacers needed on Beemer rims if you choose them right!

Try BMW 3 Series (E46) wheels for the front and 5 Series wheels for the back.
Check offset on SyTyArchives offset calculator.
Stay within 5 to 10mm + for the wheels to stick out,
don't go wider than 8.5" or 9" wheel with for the front and
something between 8.5" and 13" in the back and you're fine.
Offset changes 6mm for every 0.5 Inch in wheel with change.

PS: Also some wheel packages for the X5 work straight away
(front and back that is, with no spacers req.)
They stick out 9mm in the front and 15mm in the back.
To compare the old Turbine Style ZR-1's in 17x11 without
spacers stick out exactly the same(15mm offset 36).
"Daytona Race" in 20x9 Offset 45 and 20x10.5 Offset 30
from Rial is such a package.

Blown' :turn-l:
 

Mad Mike

SYCOSIS
Re: questions about corvette rims, please read.

fiveoh said:
ok, i know this question has been asked millions of times, but here goes.

what size vette rims fit on a ty with out using spacers? could i buy 4 rear vette 18 inch tires? and would that work? thanks for input

bryan

Why don't you want spacers?
 

fiveoh

Enforcing traffic laws
dont really care if i had to get spacers, but if i could get away with out them it would be better, what size spacer is needed? quarter inch or half inch?
thanks for all of the input
 

bryan

New member
I am running 18 inch c-5's 1998 rims (i think 56mm back spacing)all the way around. But my set up is alittle different. I have the full P.E.P. suspention (front and rear), and I don't have the typhoon body kit on my truck. I had to use 255-45-18,not much tire but I figure the sus would make up for it. I didn't need it in the front. The wheels are flush with the fender and I do not rub on the inside of front rim. the rear I did have to put a spacer because of the 4 link. But, before the 4 link I did not need it. Since you have the kit on your truck, the tire will be tucked in. The kit comes out a good inch and a half or more. I don't know if this helped you but there you go. :-?
 

Mad Mike

SYCOSIS
fiveoh said:
dont really care if i had to get spacers, but if i could get away with out them it would be better, what size spacer is needed? quarter inch or half inch?
thanks for all of the input

I have the 17" 9.5" 2K corvette wheels with 56mm back spacing all the way around and had to use 1.5" spacers in the back. Got them from Skulte for $155.00.
 

bryan

New member
MAD MIKE:
Is that a 1.5 spacer or an adaptor? What size tires where you running? Did you use the spacer because of the tire rubbing the frame or because the tire was tucked to far in? I was able to run 285 35 18 on a 18x9.5 rim no spacers and not rub. (c5, 56mm, no body kit)
 

Loeryder

New member
Once you get that thick its considered an adapter.
Only because it bolts to teh hub then has a 2nd set of lugs the wheel bolts to.

This is more secure than using a spacer that slides over the lugs and leaves you less threads to grab onto.

I feel a lot safer on adapters than spacers.

www.skulte.com
 

bryan

New member
I agree. I had adapters on my v8 s10 and I went to make a turn and I see this wheel fly by me, then front of the truck fell to the floor. I then realized that was my wheel. I messed up my fender. That was not fun. But I had the cheap adaptors. I think they where cast aluminum. The good ones are forged aluminum. I heard that some forged adaptors are rated for 450hp. I would look for the forged ones my self.
 

Mad Mike

SYCOSIS
bryan said:
MAD MIKE:
Is that a 1.5 spacer or an adaptor? What size tires where you running? Did you use the spacer because of the tire rubbing the frame or because the tire was tucked to far in? I was able to run 285 35 18 on a 18x9.5 rim no spacers and not rub. (c5, 56mm, no body kit)

Adapter. Tires are 275 40 17 X 9.5 wheel. I used the adapter because the wheels have a 56mm backspacing and I needed it to have the rim flush with the cladding like the stockers.
 
Top