quick need help- rear tires wearing very quickly

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
im leaving for the track in a few hours, I drove about an hour 1/2 to pop's house to meet up with him.. washing the truck,

I notice the rear tires are wearing very quickly. After having them for quite some time now, its a big change. Theres rubber coming off of them, and Im just driving normal down the road.

Both sides are wearing bald on the inside, in a gradually decreasing wear rate toward the outside of the wheel.

This must be a recent thing, and it seems to be getting worse quicky, so if anyone can pinpoint it, please let me know
 

Merk

Donating Member
soft tire?

how long have you had them? Tires don't last forever.....especially on these trucks.
 
air pressure

air pressure

Sounds like too much air pressure. tires will expand more in the center with too much air pressure,thus creating more heat. If these are stickies you are driving on they might get too hot and shed some rubber.

Dan
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
im off now after barrowing wheels & tires (thanks dad)...

no, they are regular eagle f1's...

strange, very accelerated wear, im saying there is a buch of rubber fibers coming off/building up on them.

Its so severe it looks like a camber problem, and its only been a recent thing as they have worn evenly before.

What could cause a camber problem on the rears? wheel bearings?
 

lavaman

envision whirled peas
Ain't no wheel bearings back there :roll: :lol: . Outboard axle bearings? Axle TUBES bent? Hauling heavy loads lately? Dunno.....Sounds strange unless you've got an IRS back there!
 

tyfoo

New member
had the eagle f1 on my camaro ss they only last 20,000 miles and thats being nice.

but man do they stick
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
let me clarify on wearing on the inside... not the middle, the inner edge gets it the worst, but it is also wearing excessively up into the center. This isnt tire pressure or normal wear.

We put a set of dad's rear wheels with 400 tread wear tires on, and the tread blocks are getting eaten up on the atacking egdes, again most severe on the inside edge, feathering out toward the middle of the tire.

I dont cary anything in the back.

if it was a spring or block or something, they should wear opposite on each side I would imagine ( inside of one side, outside of the opposite) but its both driver, and passanger sides, wearing the insides edges. and it isnt a tire specific problem.

Its gotta be camber or toe of the rears.... which is dumb because we all know theres no adjustment back there.

So im trying to figure out if it could be the axle bearings ( excuse me lavaman :D ) or if all of a sudden my axle is bent to shit.. or what?
 

myclone

Donating Member
SyTyArchives said:
Its gotta be camber or toe of the rears.... which is dumb because we all know theres no adjustment back there.

So im trying to figure out if it could be the axle bearings ( excuse me lavaman :D ) or if all of a sudden my axle is bent to shit.. or what?

A bent rear diff/axle tube or a bad bearing could be the culprit but if an axle bearing was that bad I would think you would have noticed gear oil leaking out of the seal on the bad bearing side. Ive seen bad axle bearings do this before (non syty) but the side that had the bad bearing was dumping lube out past the seal onto the brake backing plate. You could see where gear oil had been draining down the backing plate onto the drum then getting flung out onto the sidewall of the tire on the inside.

BTW, the axle tubes are fairly easy to bend if hit with the correct amount of impact or at the right angle. Ran over a curb, culvert, or other obstruction at speed recently? How bout pulling the truck with a strap or chain around the axle tube lately? Itd take some pretty serious pulling/jerking to bend one that way but its been done before (I wont mention any names but I hear hes a red neck and pretty grumpy at times :wink: ).
 

skata

Donating Member
axle bearings would have to be totally shot to make the wheel misalign.

put a level on each rim to see if they are straight up and down.
 

canadian

sy in progress
rear end misaligned? try measuring from the tires to various reference points to see if the rear end isn't goofed up. is it possible one side is closer to the front than the other making it angled?
 
canadian said:
rear end misaligned? try measuring from the tires to various reference points to see if the rear end isn't goofed up. is it possible one side is closer to the front than the other making it angled?

That would make the truck dog leg more than wear the tires but it is worth checking.

If I were a betting man I would say bent tube, maybe the truck was strapped down incorrectly at one point and pulled the pumpkin down or something like a giant pothole causing some camber/and or toe in/out on the tires.

How do you check for something like a bend rear end other than a 4 wheel alignment?

For his sake I really hope it is something simple.
 

Ian Turgeon

Cascading Inspiration
yea this is just one of those weird things. everyone I've asked instantly gave me a strange look.

I dont have any experience with rear axles yet, so I guess its just time for that to break too...

I'll have to take some side to side measurements and see if we cant determine that the tops are closer then the bottoms, or the fronts are closer then the rears.

If it is axle tubes, what are some good options for me? are there any mild upgrades or good sources for strait ones?

I cant say I remember hitting anything in the road that would have bent the axle. I dont do any truck action with this thing so it could only have been a gnarley bump, but like I said I dont really recall anything extrodinary.
 

Sy769

Donating Member
Back the truck up on an alignment machine. That will tell you exactly how the rearend is off if it is.
 
Ian, I have a rear diff for you if you need it. We can check yours for straightness, and just try bearings if you want. It's a simple job, I already did them on Navin's truck twice. The rear on my Sy was misaligned when I got it. The Flexaforms don't really have a good retention system, so you gotta string it and tighten the bolts with somebody holding it. I have about 500 miles on the ET Streets with no wear, so I must of got it right :wink:
 
Top