Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

JSM

Active member
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

Dialing in new combinations, working out the bugs is the hardest part of any build. Glad you are still moving forward and working through them.

Can't wait to see another pass with this bug worked out.

Don't be a stranger here though, we get a little rowdy at times but in the end we all like to see what everybody else is doing.
 

420

Broke Ass Racing
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

Ok, I just had to post and say how funny I think your "NHRA Rulebook" Avatar is :D

Carry on all :)
 
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

15310204088.jpg


So those valve reliefs aren't suppose to be there? lol
 

qbnkiller

Conflaguration Specialist
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

If you look carefully, you can see the burnished part the arrow is pointing to...........
 

Ry368

one mile = 5280 feet
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

BULLY Syclone said:

[URL=http://www.putfile.com/pic/8245231]


Ok you all know how much I like posting here but.....................Here are the pics of the valves that were hitting the pistons and also a piston.

If some of you would spend more time wrenching and less posting MAYBE you would be able to understand the whole odd/evenfire deal and if flanders would have taken a good look at my truck at the nats he would have seen that there is no distributor and Motec will make the plugs fire at any deg. that you tell it to.
Wow...unreal that it ran in the low 10's with the wrong cam in place......should be a rocket(judging from Aarons scream..lol) this time out!!! I'd be pissed at the builder for not checking something that simple, :( but it looks like you've got it all worked out now so no matter. :tup:
 

Tooky

Serious about performance
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

Good pics of the pistons/valves! You should consider posting more often. It's fun to see the nitty-gritty of other builds.
 

NecroWolf

lost marbles member
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

out of all the sy's and ty's i've seen this one is tops right next to a radar blue. i'd like to hear some details about the paint. that purple fade on the cladding and hood graphics are awesome.
 

Nova67ss

New member
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

BULLY Syclone said:
Ok you all know how much I like posting here but.....................Here are the pics of the valves that were hitting the pistons and also a piston.

If some of you would spend more time wrenching and less posting MAYBE you would be able to understand the whole odd/evenfire deal and if flanders would have taken a good look at my truck at the nats he would have seen that there is no distributor and Motec will make the plugs fire at any deg. that you tell it to.

So to clear all this up......1123 hp at the crank 10.3 146 mph and yes I have a time slip and there is plenty of video on this site showing it!


Ok, name giving again :I so Flanders it is.

Whell, at the nats we had a chance to straighten out some issues, BUT U and the team cept whell to yourself, DROP that dead horse now.

Yes I know werry whell U run a 10.3 run..

And a nondistrubutor ignition could werry whell fire AS U say on every cylinder, but still the cam timing (opening/closing of valves) should be verry much OF on some pistons and right on, to some, this would have been discovered at startup and tuning.

These damaged valves and pistons Ive seen before (not U´rs but others) and cause of that have been to tight piston to valve clearence AND over reving the engine, and to my recolektion Ur truck drove out tho the track and then did some testruns as Robert did, and it ran fine then but when U stepped up on power it missfired bad...

Though Robert did´nt drive out to track, he drove home from it instead :D

And about wrenching, I should do it more often, but I have to work to :D..

I do all my and a couple of friends engine build and tune from scratch, No special builder here to mix up parts.

Robert is ONE of my friends MORE SKILLED THAN ME building engines..

I build engines in range of NA 400- 650 Hp Robert goes Boosted up to 1200+ Hp..

Regards Flanders..
 

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

Guys, please don't turn this ugly again. Both Roberts and Johns trucks are amazing. Can we leave it at that?
 

LIL QIK

HELL YEA I GOT BOOST!
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

AUSyTyIN said:
Guys, please don't turn this ugly again. Both Roberts and Johns trucks are amazing. Can we leave it at that?
X2 :tup:
 

Nova67ss

New member
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

AUSyTyIN said:
Guys, please don't turn this ugly again. Both Roberts and Johns trucks are amazing. Can we leave it at that?


No problems for me, just was curiose how an engine with wrong parts (odd/even parts mixed) ever could turn 1123 Hp and propell a truck to 10,3. then Im not to much into odd/even engine


An ordinary 350" chevy V8, is it even or odd??
 

Six-is-Enough

Use to do a little Boost
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

Nova67ss said:
No problems for me, just was curiose how an engine with wrong parts (odd/even parts mixed) ever could turn 1123 Hp and propell a truck to 10,3. then Im not to much into odd/even engine


An ordinary 350" chevy V8, is it even or odd??


350 Chevy is even fire
 

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

It's pretty amazing that he put down those numbers with the wrong cam shaft (I know what he is saying is true because I was at the shop that he dynoed at the weekend after he was there, and know several people who saw him run at Bandi)
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

Nova67ss said:
No problems for me, just was curiose how an engine with wrong parts (odd/even parts mixed) ever could turn 1123 Hp and propell a truck to 10,3. then Im not to much into odd/even engine


An ordinary 350" chevy V8, is it even or odd??

Even fire mean that the engine fires at even intervals, for a Small block Chevy its 90 degrees (0, 90, 180, 270, etc) for a 4.3 its every 120 degrees (0, 120, 240, etc).

An odd fire v6 fires at non symetrical intervals (odd as in odd duck), its 0, 90 270.

Bully's truck would have fired properly (spark) on each piston stroke (odd fire), but his cam timing would only correct for 2 cylinders. The other 4 psitons would be 30 degrees early or late.

If you think about it interms of intake and exhuast strokes, two valves on the intake would be late (air would be push back into the intake), two would be early, (no enough air, so a weak charge). For exhaust stokes, the early one would lead to waste power (
The popping heard at the track very well could have been due to the early exhaust valves), the two late valveswould lead to the engine fighting itself during the exhaust stroke and leaving leftover exhaust for the intake stroke. This is quick overview, I am that sure I have missed some finer points.

His engine would have fired on all 6 cylinders, only 2 of them would have made their full power, the other 4 would have been down on power.
 

Ry368

one mile = 5280 feet
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

AUSyTyIN said:
It's pretty amazing that he put down those numbers with the wrong cam shaft (I know what he is saying is true because I was at the shop that he dynoed at the weekend after he was there, and know several people who saw him run at Bandi)
Hopefully Jon gets it dyno'd again now that it's running on all six.......that would be a sick azz vid to post up on this thread!

When is this beast hitting the dyno.....I'm sure more then a few guys here would be happy to shoot some awd dyno vids. :tup:
 

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

If anyone knows when he will be dynoing, please let me know. I'll be there with camera in hand :tup:
 

BULLY Syclone

Höhe Fragen!
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

Actually the power was coming from 3 cyl not 2 oddfire fires 0 90 240 330 480 570 720 so the driver side bank was fine and the passenger side was 30 deg. advanced and yes it was my fault that I did not catch it......On the first engine I only checked clearance on no. 1 cyl....I asumed that Comp cams had sent the right cam....oh well live and learn. It now has a LSM cam in it and it is right!
 

AUSyTyIN

Unbusted $#it box
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

Will you be dynoing it? Any plans to head up to Bandi before Truck Fest?
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

BULLY Syclone said:
Actually the power was coming from 3 cyl not 2 oddfire fires 0 90 240 330 480 570 720 so the driver side bank was fine and the passenger side was 30 deg. advanced

Thanks for the firing correction, I was just using what I had read about odd fire motors. Do most 4.3 oddfire motors use that firing order (and the 0,90, 270, etc is regugitated misinformation) or doesn't it depend on the user specs or crank manufacturer.
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: Rode in the Bully Syclone tonight!

BULLY Syclone said:
Actually the power was coming from 3 cyl not 2 oddfire fires 0 90 240 330 480 570 720 so the driver side bank was fine and the passenger side was 30 deg. advanced and yes it was my fault that I did not catch it......On the first engine I only checked clearance on no. 1 cyl....I asumed that Comp cams had sent the right cam....oh well live and learn. It now has a LSM cam in it and it is right!

I was thinking about that... most people would only check/degree the #1, maybe another on that bank as a sanity check. Few would go through the trouble to check 'em all.

I'm sure there's a lot of people wondering "How the heck could they miss that?", but even the best would probably miss this one, if they really trusted their cam guy. Heck, most people don't even bother to degree.

All's well that ends well... sounds like you've really got 'er dialed in well, now!
 
Top