Ugh , did not want to find this out...

defc0n

New member
What's going on gentlemen ,

So i finally found out why my typhoon started to have no boost . Having no prior knowledge about this truck , the previous owner was driving around with a melted waste gate actuator , letting it boost to 15 psi. When I got the truck I had no idea what stock psi was.

I went to my friends shop tonight and we took apart all the piping and anything in the way of the turbo , taking a look inside the turbo , we noticed it's seized with no spinning movement , along with two broken fins.

What are my options at this moment? My friend working on this car doesn't know if these stock turbo's can be rebuilt.

Any suggestions for companies or sites that sell used turbo's or do rebuilds?
trying to stay in stock form and on a budget , barely got the truck and have not had the chance to enjoy it.

=(

please help ~
 

gkrcr882

SyTyless......for now!
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

Lack of oil or debris getting sucked into the turbo are the two things that come to mind for a turbo failure as bad as that. Broken fins is a red flag that it ingested something- take a close look at all the intake piping leading up to the turbo for broken or cracked pieces. The failure of these has been discussed many times. RPM, Waller, Campbell, Detroit Turbo, Turbotime....any of the above can help you out in some way.
 

defc0n

New member
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

We checked the piping nothing serious there , the debris looks to be of the fin breaking off. The nut holding the turbine was also loose. On the actuator the hard line was completely broken off so it was boosting a good 15 psi for a while , way before I owned the vehicle. The turbo looking to be the original with a 170k on it , we think it just finally gave out. The motor still runs good , idles fine , and no smoke or any sign of head gasket problems.

Thanks for all the info on those turbo companies.

What am I looking at in regards to rebuild costs on something like this?
 

SyTyAddict

Member
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

I'd just find a nice stock turbo to swap out, you can get one fairly cheap. This would also be a good time to swap it for a 20g if you want a little more power, it is a direct bolt on. With the 20g, you might need a tune.
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

I'd just find a nice stock turbo to swap out, you can get one fairly cheap. This would also be a good time to swap it for a 20g if you want a little more power, it is a direct bolt on. With the 20g, you WILLneed a tune.

And a new torque converter potentially.

And bigger injectors.

And possibly a 3 bar map if running more than stock boost.

Fixed. :lol:
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

We run a 20g on my wifes TY. Everything else is totally stock. Truck runs awesome. Oh and yeah, a 9/11 converter. But that really is it.
 

defc0n

New member
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

If I had enough money laying around I would step up for a 20g , but I still need to straighten all the rims and get new struts all the way around.

=(
 

defc0n

New member
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

when removing the turbo do I need to remove the ac compressor? are there any links or diy tutorials on turbo removal?
 

SyTyAddict

Member
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

I always heard that you don't need a stall if you have the 10cm or sometimes 12cm housing. As for a three bar, that's no big deal when you're already getting a tune done.
 

aasltmike

Active member
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

when removing the turbo do I need to remove the ac compressor? are there any links or diy tutorials on turbo removal?

I removed my turbo by taking out the fenderwell liner...gives you straight access to it. Just gotta have a jack, jackstands, and the tools. :tup:
 

jpalmer

New member
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

. Having no prior knowledge about this truck , the previous owner was driving around with a melted waste gate actuator , letting it boost to 15 psi. When I got the truck I had no idea what stock psi was.



please help ~

Stock psi is 14.7-15 psi. but you really need an aftermarket boost gauge. the stock gauges are very inaccurate.
 

defc0n

New member
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

hey guys!

So i installed a used turbo I bought from a member on here and it boosts fine , truck feels great. The only problem is I hear some type of rattle when I am boosting , it's coming from the engine bay area. Any idea's on what I should look for ?

going to check to make sure all the bolts are tightened ./..
connections for the piping etc etc

any other suggestions!?

thanks for your time gentlemen!
 

Big Mike

New member
Re: Ugh , did not want to find this out...

Rattle could be your engine detonating/knocking. You might want to stay out of boost till you find out if it is knock otherwise your looking at rebuilding your engine very soon. Good luck.
 
Top