Ultimate chip info

ty1548

Member
Haven't been on the board much but thought I'd mention a few things about the Ultimate chip as it seems Brian has been left to hold the fort on his own concerning recent issues. There's been some misinformation in recent posts that I wanted to clear up.

First a little backround of the chip. Basically it was a collaboration between myself and Brian merging his 3 bar fueling programs with my 2 bar programs and hardware. Due to recent questions concerning boost control, I will ellaborate on that. I developed the boost control code using my truck, and eventually was able to obtain near perfect control, with boost fluctuations of no more than +/- 0.5 psi thougout a 1/4 mile run. This was in part due to my upgraded turbo (TE-62) with properly matched wastegate. I envisioned most Ultimate owners having or getting upgraded turbos, as I as well as others had such good success with them. There is no better mechanical bang for the buck upgrade, whether it's a simple Mitsu or larger Garrett turbo. We had several trucks beta testing the chip ranging from stock to what I considered to have fairly significant power adding bolt-ons, namely my Ty running 12.1's at 112 mph (TE-62, Conley air/water IC, 2800 stall, cold air intake, stock exhaust minus cat w/ Ultra Flo). The only requirement was the use of stock injectors and cam. To say that the chip was designed for a stock truck is not correct, many months of development were done on my truck. Anyway, all the other beta testers had stock turbos and with some wg adjustment where necessary all were able to get decent boost control, that being approx. +/- 1 psi max fluctuations, especially considering all the variables between trucks, e.g. exhaust, intake etc. Also, the boost code was biased on the under-boost side for safety sake, it's a lot easier to adjust a wastegate rod than replace a piston because of an unexpected 5 psi boost spike the first time you got on it. Up until recently, I was not aware of any significant boost control issues, my only hypothesis is that the 12 year old wg springs may be weakening in some trucks. I just heard from a new Ultimate user, named Wade Segrest, who posted in this thread:

http//syty.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17518&postdays=0&postorder=asc&st

His experience is the norm, and what I am accustomed to hearing. Keep in mind that boost control is one of *many* features that the chip offers, making it more than worth the price in my opinion even if another method of boost control is preferred. There are inexpensive alternatives such as the Ram Air or ANS controller which I used with my 2 bar chips. I would hope that no one would want to return a chip just because they didn't have perfect boost control, you're missing the whole point of the chip if this is the case. That would be like returning a plasma screen tv because the sleep timer was not accurate.

Speaking of these 2 bar chips, someone had mentioned offering them as an alternative. Well, they are and always have been available through me using the same Ultimate hardware, only with 10 settings as opposed to 16. They were shown on the old syty.org site under "modifications" but haven't been added to the new one yet. Although this chip does offer limited boost control (15, 16, 17.5 psi), most have used some sort of additional boost control in order to get to higher levels. This may be a better and cheaper alternative for those who don't need all the inherent benefits of the 3 bar chip, and would rather control boost in another manner. I would say this chip is more for those with less interest in fine tuning for perfection, and may not have the means or interest in doing this. It's more of a plug and play type deal, yet you still have some more aggressive settings available if you decide to run some race gas. I would estimate a 0.1 to 0.15 second penalty over the Ultimate in the 1/4 for running this chip due to the richer WOT fueling, some of which can be eliminated with fuel pressure adjustments.

There has been conjecture that maybe some of you have "bad" chips. It is possible, but in the last 3 years only about 1-2% sold have had hardware related problems. Out of ~200, 2 have had faulty soldering, and one had a faulty EPROM. The others that I have fixed have been damaged, usually in the cable, and are typically second hand and definitely well used. If you want to know what a bad chip runs like, remove the MEMCAL and replace the chip carrier on the ecm. You'll get black smoke out the tailpipe and a very rough idle.

As far as a list of acceptable mods to work with the chip, as long as you have the stock injectors, heads, and cam, there shouldn't be a problem. There are exceptions to this, some mild cams work fine, as well as some head work/replacement heads. This should be discussed with the vendor before making the purchase. The only caveat is that it is possible to surpass the fueling capacity of the stock injectors on a heavily modifed truck. A scan tool will tell you when you've reached this point. I never did in my Ty, nor did my friend Gary Srnka who ran 11.70's at 113 in his Sy back in '98. As a point of interest, he had a KB "Jimmy" turbo, ATR headers, stock IC, 3000 stall converter, my 4-1 chip, and cold air kit. The point being that you don't need to spend a lot of money, neither of us spent much more than 3k, to go fast. Stick with what works and keep it as simple as possible.

Finally, I'm hoping that we (Brian) can get an open loop boost control chip out in the near future. This has always been my goal from the start in '97 when I first came out with the 2 bar chips. A family and the burden of making the chip hardware took me away from developing the code, and Brian was more into than me anyway. This type of control would eliminate most of the variables and should result in near perfect boost control for all mechanically sound turbo systems.

Anyway, hope this novel was of interest and cleared up some issues.

Todd
 

ParTyBoy

New member
Re: Ultimate chip info

ty1548 said:
Haven't been on the board much but thought I'd mention a few things about the Ultimate chip as it seems Brian has been left to hold the fort on his own concerning recent issues. There's been some misinformation in recent posts that I wanted to clear up.

We had several trucks beta testing the chip ranging from stock to what I considered to have fairly significant power adding bolt-ons, namely my Ty running 12.1's at 112 mph (TE-62, Conley air/water IC, 2800 stall, cold air intake, stock exhaust minus cat w/ Ultra Flo). The only requirement was the use of stock injectors and cam. To say that the chip was designed for a stock truck is not correct, many months of development were done on my truck. Anyway, all the other beta testers had stock turbos and with some wg adjustment where necessary all were able to get decent boost control, that being approx. +/- 1 psi max fluctuations, especially considering all the variables between trucks, e.g. exhaust, intake etc.

Anyway, hope this novel was of interest and cleared up some issues.

Todd

Appologize for the misinformation Todd.. Thought the chip was developed on your truck before the turbo/major upgrades.. Glad to see you posting as it's been years since I've seen you on the list and there's lots to learn from what you and green can offer... Thanks again for all your time and hard work..

J
 

93 TY 2185

Donating Member
I spent the last 2 years getting my stock truck with all the safety modifications in great running order before I even thought about putting in the Ultimate. I also made a lot of adjustments to fuel pressure and wastgate control arm before I made those runs at the track.

Here is a link to the post I made in the Midwest gatherings area. http://syty.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17518&start=15



Mods: Ultimate, Walbro pump, AFPR set @49 PSI, Intercooler scoop, Trans cooler,TC lock up switch, Metal lines delete, EGR delete, Battery relocated K&N on intake.

Wade Segrest
13.129@99.82 1.79 60ft
A Happy Ultimate user :D
Green/Gray
 

Mad Mike

SYCOSIS
Great to hear from you Todd. Any thoughts about owning another sy/ty? I was probally one of the first to buy Todd's 2 bar chip with great results then graduated to the 3-bar. I always aspired to have my truck run as quick as Todd's with about the same mods using the STG ultimate and feel I met that level of preformance on my syclone. I have a Te-45 .63 9/11 converter and headers. I've spoken to Todd several times on the phone and has always taken the time to explain things and help out with any problems. I must say that even though the Ultimate works well with a stock setup as by evidence on my Typhoon (13.04 @ 101) the real gains are noticed with a larger turbo and converter. On both my trucks this is by far the best "bang for the buck" modification I have made.
 

smeagol

Active member
Todd is looking to get another mild Syty he told me, I have been keeping my eyes open. He has been trying to keep me in the chip biz too, I'm trying to find a situation that keeps me sane :x
 

Daron

Active member
Todd is missed in SyTy land.

Our Ty currently runs an old school 2 bar multichip and it runs perfect.

The Sy has run a few differnt 3-bar ultimate, from the thumbwheel to the big LED display model. The thumbwheel is my fav. It took me sometime to get my trucks systems working good enough to be worthy of the 3-bar. It has been a great chip for me. One local Ty owner had issues with his first Ultimate, and I popped in my truck, worked fine. Todd and Brian were kind enough to refund his money. Meanwhile I went thru his truck and found multiple issues. Once fixed I tried a known good Ultimate and it worked like a charm. Now that Ty owner has a new Ultimate in his Ty and is happy as a clam.
These trucks are wacky....
 

Hu Ryde

Donating Member
Re: Ultimate chip info

ty1548 said:
Finally, I'm hoping that we (Brian) can get an open loop boost control chip out in the near future. Todd

Is there anyway that the existing Ultimate users can get a update for the open loop boost control change? Or can you not modify the Ultimate at all.
 

smeagol

Active member
Ultimate programs can be upgraded, it's a simple eprom swap.

We don't currently have a set of open loop programs, I started to create some for testing, but that's as far as I went.
 

myclone

Donating Member
Daron said:
One local Ty owner had issues with his first Ultimate, and I popped in my truck, worked fine. Todd and Brian were kind enough to refund his money. Meanwhile I went thru his truck and found multiple issues. Once fixed I tried a known good Ultimate and it worked like a charm. Now that Ty owner has a new Ultimate in his Ty and is happy as a clam.
These trucks are wacky....

FWIW.. Ive seen this with my own eyes multiple times.. I cant stress enough the fact that one MUST have their truck in tip top shape before doing mods no matter if its a chip or something else.

These trucks are just flat out weird and 99% of the time will run worse if a mod is done without making sure the truck is in proper tune first.

Just my O2 as a satisfied ultimate user.... and trust me. If something can be bitched about I can do it.
 

Hu Ryde

Donating Member
smeagol said:
Ultimate programs can be upgraded, it's a simple eprom swap.
We don't currently have a set of open loop programs, I started to create some for testing, but that's as far as I went.

Hit me up with an e-mail sometime Brian I lost yours. I would like to get my Ultimate upgraded and would like you to enlighten me on the topic.
 

AXXE

Member
NIce to hear from you Todd. The Ultimate is the single best performance mod I made on my Sy. I ran 12.7 with Minor mods and the Ultimate on pump gas. A lot of non-SyTy owners are impressed when they see the Ultimate.
 

ty1548

Member
Thanks for the kind words! I will try to get on here more often, but you know, best laid plans... Those of you with a working wife and young kids know how rare free time is.

I am still on the occasional look-out for the right Syclone. It hasn't come my way yet. In hind sight, should've kept the Ty I guess. :-?

Many of you have purchased your chip through me, when updates do come out you certainly can get them through me to take some of the load from Brian. When a major change does take place, perhaps the other vendors can also be a point of contact for these swaps. An EPROM change is all that is required. It's a simple do-it-yourself deal.
 
Top