Wastegate to Turbo

Goose

Donating Member
I just purchased my SY, the previous owner told me he was running low boost but he did not know how it was done, all he knows is he had an aftermarket turbo installed and @ 71 years old he did not need full boost. I was looking under the hood and I noticed that the waste gate is not connected to the actuator see pictures below.

I have a couple of questions:

Should I extent the arm of the actuator to meet the turbo or should I move the waste gate to meet the actuator. (I'm not sure at what position does the waste gate open)?

If I floor the car while stepping on the brakes the rpm does not go above 2k and boost pressure is around 4 psi, is it because of the turbo?

Looking at the turbo I can see A\R 60 stamped on it, is this the correct turbo for the truck?


20141011_213448_zpsd9202aed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20141011_213410_zps4d59c553.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20141011_213357_zps78d8cc3b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 

Static

Member
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

From the picture it looks like the wastegate flapper is stuck open. You will not build boost with it open. See if it moves freely.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

It would basically build no boost like that. Before you connect up the wastegate, check (replace) all the vacuum lines. The wastegate may have disconnected because it was over boosting.
 

It's just a six

Super Member
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

That is an aftermarket turbo.
Don't know the specs so it's hard to say if it is properly sized for your Sy.

The .60 on the compressor housing is OK.
 

Goose

Donating Member
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

It would basically build no boost like that. Before you connect up the wastegate, check (replace) all the vacuum lines. The wastegate may have disconnected because it was over boosting.

I'll inspect the hoses and reconnect the wastegate.
 

Darin

New member
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

It may build boost, but build it very slowly and not reach the targeted boost that's wanted.

I would recommend to reconnect the arm, ensure that the flapper moves freely first. If not, you'll need to free it up first. Ensure no leaks in the vac hoses going to the wastegate diaphragm, and then take it for a gentle drive.
 

Goose

Donating Member
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

It may build boost, but build it very slowly and not reach the targeted boost that's wanted.

I would recommend to reconnect the arm, ensure that the flapper moves freely first. If not, you'll need to free it up first. Ensure no leaks in the vac hoses going to the wastegate diaphragm, and then take it for a gentle drive.

Did that yesterday and I can hear the turbo spool :oops::oops: but not to the desired level of 15 psi I'm getting around 5 psi which means I may need a new actuator or a boost controller as the stock one has been eliminated.
 

Static

Member
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

Is there a solenoid with vacuum lines running to it somewhere mounted on or near that turbo?
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

You can tighten the wastegate rod to make more boost. I would cautiously increase the boost. Do you have a scan tool to monitor the ECM? The fuel pressure/map sensor vacuum lines coming off the back of the intake should be inspected/replaced as wel
 

Goose

Donating Member
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

No scan tool as of yet, I had to replace a few hoses over the weekend I think I'm good there. I'll get the tool before I start messing with the rod.
 

Static

Member
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

None, line runs from the turbo to the actuator.

OK you're missing the solenoid that allows the computer to control the boost. The way its hooked up now you will only get base boost. Stock turbo base boost is 8psi. No idea what your aftermarket one is supposed to make.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

He has an aftermarket turbo and actuator. I would initially raise the boost with actuator alone.
 

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
Re: Wastegate to Turbo

Don't mess with the stock solenoid, it's crap, get a manual boost controller, you'll be much happier

Their is nothing wrong with the stock solenoid. Infact I have seen many other turbo vehicles retrofit their cars to use GM 3 port solenoids.

The boost control issues are from stock wastegate setup and factory chip programming.
 
Top