Mrsyclone... oh no

RealFastV6

@jb_and_his_coffee
Mrsyclone... oh no

Nasty.

I recall in the past he had tried a couple different rod options.

At 1500+HP in a V6, every run is a roll of the dice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Sean Krupa

Re: Mrsyclone... oh no

Sorry to hear this Robert. Luckily you and the truck are OK. You are a inspiration to many.

tunerpike

Donating Member

I would have though he had Oliver as well... He should go with the new LS based 4.3...

hatrik8

Donating Member

I saw him post this on facebook last week and I saw the caption "really really bad day at the track"
I was hoping he didn't wreck. Hope he rebuilds better than ever.

fivetodrive

CRISPY

I think they were carillo rods.

Carrillo-Rod-vs-Eagle-Rod-for-VQ35DE.png

cloneman315

I was talking with Hacking about this not to long ago. These big v6 motors just don't last long when you take them to these levels. I am seeing why so many go to LSX.

Don W.

Stab it and steer it

I think I've posted this before but to save the trouble here's a discussion on connecting rods and connecting rod bolts. First half (roughly) is about motor oil, good reading by itself, but go about half way down to the con-rod section. And it continues with some other interesting discussions.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

RealFastV6

@jb_and_his_coffee

Connecting rods have historically always been the Achilles tendon in big HP builds. A V6 rod carries 33% more power per rod than a rod in a V8 producing the same power level, so it makes sense that the rods are more apt to let go in a V6 than a V8 producing the same performance.

A V6 engine has advantages in a production vehicle because of the weight and cost savings. But once the wick gets turned up, the mechanical and structural limits of the V6 are reached sooner than in a V8 because of the fewer number of cyls producing the same amount of work.

I'm sure having the rod off-center in the cylinder bore at this level plays a part. Combine that with a rod journal that's also narrower on the big end, and you've not only got 33% more power per cylinder, but you've got to hold it together with a less "ideal" layout than a SBC.

Don W.

Stab it and steer it

I'm sure having the rod off-center in the cylinder bore at this level plays a part. Combine that with a rod journal that's also narrower on the big end, and you've not only got 33% more power per cylinder, but you've got to hold it together with a less "ideal" layout than a SBC.

The rod is centered in the bore but the big end -is- narrowed a bit, more on one side than the other. Comparative rod bearing load (V6 vis V8, everything else equal) must be considerable. This why odd-fire cranks work. Rod bearing is the same I believe. Stiffer -and- wider journal then us.

RealFastV6

@jb_and_his_coffee

The rod is centered in the bore but the big end -is- narrowed a bit, more on one side than the other. Comparative rod bearing load (V6 vis V8, everything else equal) must be considerable. This why odd-fire cranks work. Rod bearing is the same I believe. Stiffer -and- wider journal then us.

Ya know you're right - I'm mixing up my V6s.

The Buick V6 (block) was designed as an OddFire, so the cylinder banks are lined up for a common pin rod journal. This is why they built HD blocks in the "On-Center" variety later on with shifted banks.

Our V6 was designed as an evenfire from the start, so the banks would be offset for the split pin journal already.

Still no wide journals.

Houseofperformance

switchhappy!!!

that´s a bad damage - wonder what broke the transmission housing.

last time he blew his engine he was back in no time, faster than before.

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD

LS cheerleaders make me laugh, do you really think LS motors don't fail? I just watched about 10 videos of the same type of damage with the same or less power. I'm sure the potential for failure in the V6 is greater but the LS is not the cure all. Plus, they are pretty damn expensive depending on what route you go. An LS7 goes for a minimum of 12k unless you score one on ebay but then who knows what the hell you're really getting. Big power in any motor is a risk. Look at top fuel, that is the best of the best when it comes to parts yet how many have we seen explode.

OK, time to get back to my $14,000.00 Bowtie build that I'll probably never finish :oops:

Captain Morgan

Moderated User

LS cheerleaders make me laugh, do you really think LS motors don't fail? I just watched about 10 videos of the same type of damage with the same or less power. I'm sure the potential for failure in the V6 is greater but the LS is not the cure all. Plus, they are pretty damn expensive depending on what route you go. An LS7 goes for a minimum of 12k unless you score one on ebay but then who knows what the hell you're really getting. Big power in any motor is a risk. Look at top fuel, that is the best of the best when it comes to parts yet how many have we seen explode.

OK, time to get back to my $14,000.00 Bowtie build that I'll probably never finish :oops:

You can laugh all you want, I didn't read through to see who said LS engines were indestructible either, but personally speaking what "kills" it for me is the fact that a V6 crank is $2k-$2.5k and a 6 month wait and pretty much a prerequisite after 650 HP. You can build an N/A junkyard block LS with that kind of HP for the cost of a V6 crank :rotf:

Anarchy99

You can laugh all you want, I didn't read through to see who said LS engines were indestructible either, but personally speaking what "kills" it for me is the fact that a V6 crank is $2k-$2.5k and a 6 month wait and pretty much a prerequisite after 650 HP. You can build an N/A junkyard block LS with that kind of HP for the cost of a V6 crank :rotf:

Agreed.

Mikeyd99

Donating Member

I think this topic is going a little off track. MrSyclone had an insanely fast v6 Syclone which he was keeping true to its heritage. They are V6 turbocharged AWD trucks. Nobody here will or should argue that it would cost significantly less to build an ls motor to make way more power for way less but thats not what these trucks are.

We can sit here and debate about which is better but on the weekend I saw a Grand National that a guy had done a v8 swap into and even seeing that a little piece of me died. I don't know if i'm a purist or not but I think its awesome when I see a high horsepower v6 in either a Syclone, Typhoon or GN.

Just my 2c