step by step LS1 brakes how to install with pics

1madgumby

If your LS1 brakes did not come with brake lines you will need rubber brake lines that go to the calipers off A LS1 camaro. Syclone rear ends will have to drill A extra hole for the LS1 backing plates ( some people use just 3 bolts without drilling extra hole )

Step1
pull wheels & tires off, remove the drums.

Step 2
remove rear end cover

0722091341.jpg

Step 3
Remove the bolt the holds the pin so you can remove the C clips that hold the axles in place. pull pin out with A magnet, then push the axles in to remove the C clips
(Use ONLY ! A 6 point 5/16 box in wrench when removing the bolt)

downsized_0722091434.jpg

downsized_0722091442.jpg

Step 4 remove the axles
Make sure they go back on the same side when installing them later. ( there different lenghts )

downsized_0722091444.jpg

Step 5

Remove the brake line from each side ( 9/16 line wrench )

0722091448.jpg

Step 6

Remove parking brake cable. ( or cut it off, will not work with the LS1 brakes )

Step 7
Remove the backing plates ( 4 bolts & nuts )

downsized_0722091503.jpg

Step 8

Pull the axle seals out to replace them with new ones

0722091520.jpg

Step 8
If you have LS1 brakes with ABS sensor you have to notch the axle housing to clear the sensor so the bolt holes will line up right

0722091644.jpg

Step 9
Install the LS1 backing plates ( backing plates are marked L for Left R for right )

0722091651.jpg

Step 10
Reinstall the axles & install the pin & bolt then the rear end cover ( use blue locktite on bolt that hold pin )

Step 11
install rotors & calipers

0722091709.jpg

Install the stock brake lines into the rubber LS1 brake lines that goes to the calipers.
( rubber lines shown in the pic )

0721092024.jpg

Step 12

Bleed the brakes & reinstall the wheels YOUR DONE !

Hope this helps everyone to install Rear LS1 disk brakes on there SY/TY

fauXGT

Brick Pilot
Re: step by step LS1 brakes how to install with pics

If you want to use parking brakes, put left backing plate on right side, & right plate on left side, putting the backing plate parking cable hooks pulling towards the front of the truck. I made cable brackets out of 1/8" plate to sandwich in the axle-leaf spring perch, & they work great. :tup:

1madgumby

Got pics?

If you want to use parking brakes, put left backing plate on right side, & right plate on left side, putting the backing plate parking cable hooks pulling towards the front of the truck. I made cable brackets out of 1/8" plate to sandwich in the axle-leaf spring perch, & they work great. :tup:

fauXGT

Brick Pilot

I just finished Getting a spare that will fit around the front LS1 calipers (2wd) & tucked it under the bed tonight. Have big family & class reunion stuff going on this weekend. Will try to look at some photos already taken & try to take better pics & post them maybe Sunday. Gotta get up @ 4a.m., so crashing for the night. Do me a favor & PM me to remind me about the pics. Thanks.

s_blazin

Donating Member

this is the exact same thing i did, not sure why they made them pull from the rear but turning them around will make things easier once you go to do parking brake cables.

i was planning on doing this same exact write up but you beat me to it, nicely done, Aj. :tup:

easiest thing to do is buy a set of lokar cut to fit cables, which is what i am doing as well

bezerk

i did a low budget on the e-brake setup. my willwoods came with the bracket, and i cut of the springs on the stock cables and used a clamp so it holds on too the lever on the ls1 brakes, and put a big spring on the bracket thet devides the 2 e-brake cables for the brakes to pull back, i never use e-brakes i just need them for mot

KDBL1TY

No proportioning valve? No early lock up with brakes ?

WyoSyclone

No proportioning valve? No early lock up with brakes ?

Yup, I thought it was recommended that you remove the combi valve when upgrading to rear discs.... nice write up though.. thanks :tup:

notyet

Will C5 rear brakes fit LS1 Rear backing plates?

Syboy

Step 7.5

If the anchor bolt and nut are rusted in place, then a cut off the anchor bolt and nut with cut off wheel.

Step 9.1

If you put the right backing plate on the left side and vs versa then a 2002 C5 rear brake cable will fit if end that goes the brake lever is open up with a dremel. Once side is exact fit while the other is close.

Tobin at Kore3 Industries said 2005 Ford F150 rear brake cable will work on LS1 rear brakes. I haven't tried this myself.

Step 9.2

Install Renz E brake brackets and C5 rear cables before installing axles.

Step 11.5

Rear LS1 caliper brake hoses use a metric bubble flare so the over axle brake line will need to be cut and reflare to metric bubble flare to use the LS1 rear brake hoses.

Option 2

Order 3 rear braid hose from Kore3 rear axle drop hose is 19" with 7/16-20 inverted tube flare. Two 6" rear caliper brake hose with 10MM metric banjo bolt to caliper and the other end 3/8-24 inverted tube flare to over axle brake lines.

1madgumby

For peeps that have the swap questions, fell free to ask.

blackty

Is there a way that the abs sensor can be eliminated so you don't have to grind the axle housing? Thanks...Jim

Ty1642

Is there a way that the abs sensor can be eliminated so you don't have to grind the axle housing? Thanks...Jim

The ABS sensors are only on backing plates from LS1 cars with traction control anyway. If you do have those backing plates, just remove the ABS sensors from the plates.

blackty

Mine came with the sensors. Will there be a hole in the backing plate when the sensor is removed. If yes, then should/how do I cover it? Thanks...Jim

Ty1642

There will be a small hole (~3/4 inch). If you're worried about it, you should be able to epoxy a round cover over it on the brake side of the hole.

1madgumby

Do worrie about doing anything with it. Not going to hurt anything, Or got to the junkyard & find 2 sensors to stick in there. I might have 2 in the garage, I will look later for ya.

blackty

The sensors are there already. I just didn't want to grind on the axle housing to make them fit because I'm deleting abs anyway. I'll just pull them out and see what I can come up with. I'm not really concerned about water or snow in there becuse I don't plan on driving in the rain and never snow. I was worried about pebbles and road crap mainly. Thanks for your help...Jim

turbodog

Donating Member

Step 7.5

Step 9.2

Install Renz E brake brackets and C5 rear cables before installing axles.

Step 11.5

Rear LS1 caliper brake hoses use a metric bubble flare so the over axle brake line will need to be cut and reflare to metric bubble flare to use the LS1 rear brake hoses.

Option 2

Order 3 rear braid hose from Kore3 rear axle drop hose is 19" with 7/16-20 inverted tube flare. Two 6" rear caliper brake hose with 10MM metric banjo bolt to caliper and the other end 3/8-24 inverted tube flare to over axle brake lines.

Minor additions:
The stock LS1 e-brake brackets can be modified to mount to the spring perch, cheap alternative.

NAPA sells an adapter for $2 that will adapt between the 2 flare types.

FWIW: the photo for step 9 shows the drum backing plate, not the LS1 plate.