Twin turbo lsx Syclone

Flys007

Dirtiest truck in Vegas
Soooo.... I guess it is time for me to start my new build thread. Some of you might have read my old thread when i first got the truck, if not here is the link http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71674&highlight=768

Well, as you can see I'm kinda back to where I started.
xYBEG.jpg

This was actually the plan from the beginning. I have a for-sale thread going with all of the stuff that came off of the truck, and have been buying stuff for the swap for about a year now....

I spend another day outside in the Vegas sun pressure washing the undercarriage of this truck and I have got to say that this still probably the dirtiest truck on sy/ty! Literally, another 10 pounds of grime came off the body. Apparently the PO blew up a few motors at the track and never cleaned the undercarriage... Okay rant over :rant:

Now on to the good stuff.

Here is the evil plan:

6 liter truck block built to 408ci.
JE pistons
Eagle Rods and Crank
Custom ground comp cam
High flow oil pump
Ported ls6 heads with bigger valves, springs, crane gold rockers.
Port matched aluminum manifold
80mm throttle body
65lb injectors
Built(ing) 4l80e
Most of the lsx swap stuff to make it all work(after a ton of swearing and fabrication, because it would all go in right)
And a bunch of other stuff that I cant remember.
Keeping it awd AND planning on adding two reasonable sized turbos.

So yeah.... I have most of the motor stuff done. Looking for turbos and a fuel pump atm. Planning on fabricating my own headers and down pipe.

I'll post the pics when I take em, and try to do a good job documenting all the interesting stuff.

Here we go!

MadMike

Re: Twin turbo lsx Syclone

R u restoring it or making a race car? U should keep the 4.3L unless your aiming for over 700/700 power numbers. With that 80mm n 65#ers i'd guess u'd be under or about that. You should make it cool not another v8 s10. Do that to a regular truck not a sy/ty...... Might buy the LS of you go for 1000s. Then your talking major drivetrain beyond that 4L80 tranny.

Smkur50

SYTY Fleet owner

I have VERY similar plans. Definitely keep it awd, and don't fret the v8 haters. I'm still on the fence about single vs twin turbo myself..I am way behind where you are since I plan on redoing the entire paint/body/suspension/frame all right the first time.

I have a question though. If your doing an iron block and seking big numbers with a twin setup, why not just use a LSX block? I assume your looking for 700-1000hp? Everyone says, yeah get a junkyard truck ls motor but end up buying all different stuff on the build..ie intake manifold, accessories etc.

Also any pics of what you have going on with the motor and other stuff yet?

I will check out this build close, I like it!:tup:

Captain Morgan

Moderated User

you can still use aluminum blocks if your only going for 700-1000 HP, 1000-1500HP stock steel blocks will work fine.

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"

Stock 6.0/6.2 blocks are reliable to 1000hp whither they are aluminum or iron. Once you get over that area, you run into chances of the mains walking around and pushing water. Buy hard filling the block, o-ringing the block and heads, converting to 6 bolt heads, and pinning the mains can make the factory blocks hold up to 1500+hp. Virginia speed is one of the top LSx engine builders in the world and they use factory blocks all the time. The number one factory blocks they use are LS2 and 3 blocks. They have been high 7s with them in full bodied 4th gen f-bodies. LSX blocks are expensive and not always needed. No SyTy would be able to out grow a correctly done factory LSx block.

Smkur50

SYTY Fleet owner

Thats why I'm sticking with aluminum. I like the weight savings.

Flys007

Dirtiest truck in Vegas

Life has kept me pretty busy.. Got a few parts in this week. I'll update with some pics as soon as I get a chance to take them.

Grimgrak

Whats the diff between an lsX vs a ls2/ls3 block? I def want to do an alum build will a filled/pinned etc alum block hold 1500whp?
Vegas and no AC? C'mon now dont skimp.

It's just a six

What was that Car Craft article, cheap twin turbo 4.8 & made a lot of dyno pulls & made 1228 HP?
Stock short block w/ported stock heads?
They thought it was a 5.3.:rotf:

henry283

lsx blocks have an extra head bolt per cylinder plus a few other mods to make them stronger, better blocks to build with. Stock blocks have been welded to add the extra boss and head bolt. The extra head bolt is good for high boost applications.

There are other differences but I don't recall off the top of my head what they were.

Flys007

Dirtiest truck in Vegas

Here is some of the stuff from the mail..

dwzvU.jpg

Transmission rebuild parts.

n9p56.jpg

FAST 3 bar map

And a big box of expensive.
zjF62.jpg

I have been test fitting the block... :roll: Sent the turbotime oil pan out for modification. To be quite honest, it might be a waste of time. I'm not too happy with the quality of their products.. Motor mounts hit, and the deck on the oil pan is kinda warped. Probably from when it was welded together in the first place. I'm hoping my buddy at the fab shop can get it back to straight.

Flys007

Dirtiest truck in Vegas

Looking good, do u have a estimated date by when u think it'll be done?:tup:

:rotf: Look at all the other build threads... If this thing sees pavement before the end of the world in 2012 I will be thrilled!