93 Ty 0301

KyS10

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

Well, instead of going to bed I decided to go back out to the shop and tinker around on the Ty. Now I've uncovered a couple of other issues. I don't really know how much work its going to take to fix either of these issues. Any advice is welcome.

First, I found one of my injector wires is chewed up. The insulation has been ripped off of it. Most of the copper wire itself is intact, although some of it is damaged. I didn't realize what had caused it until I took a second look at the pic. It's not to hard to figure out when you look at the pic. My question is, how difficult would it be to replace this wire?
IMG_0418.jpg


Then, as I was looking around the engine bay trying to see if the same thing had happened to any other wires, I found this. The plastic sensor looking thing mounted to the front of the turbo has got one broken and one possibly missing piece.I have no idea what this thing is or what it does, hopefully someone can fill me in on this. On one side it has a piece of a broken plastic line. I found the other half of the broken plastic line attached to the turbo. On the other end of the sensor the is a fitting that looks like a line should attach to it. Although I couldn't find any loose lines around it. I unplugged the wire from it so I could get a decent pic.
IMG_0419.jpg


Any info at all on this would be greatly appreciated.
 

bezerk

New member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

boost solenoid, goes from your turbo =>boostsolenoid=>wastegate.
the other nipple should have a foam filter on it, but not needed. prolly only seeing 9psi of boost now
 

blacktyaffair

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

This repair would be really easy if you don't mind spending about $100.
http://www.casperselectronics.com/s...=1389&osCsid=fd8aaf2ad1b81d60222071444e3e80fb
If not, remove the injector harness and heatshrink the wires.
IMG_0418.jpg
I see poop.

Yup, it's a boost solenoid and if the lines and rubber elbows are brittle and breaking here then they are brittle and about to break everywhere else on the engine. Hit up Sportmachines and order their silicone vac line kit. Money well spent.
IMG_0419.jpg


I know you will be doing the oil return line soon. While you are under there, check out the motor mounts. They may need replacing and it's a pain in the ass. :tup:
Now go to bed. Tweeker. :rotf:
 

blacktyaffair

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

boost solenoid, goes from your turbo =>boostsolenoid=>wastegate.
the other nipple should have a foam filter on it, but not needed. prolly only seeing 9psi of boost now

He would only get about 9psi if the solenoid is bypassed and the wastegate actuator is getting direct boost pressure.

If the solenoid is not bypassed and the wastegate actuator is not getting a boost reference, the engine will overboost until ECM kills the injectors. 20+ psi of boost maybe.

Be careful, Albert. And welcome to syty ownership! :rotf:
 

bezerk

New member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

He would only get about 9psi if the solenoid is bypassed and the wastegate actuator is getting direct boost pressure.

If the solenoid is not bypassed and the wastegate actuator is not getting a boost reference, the engine will overboost until ECM kills the injectors. 20+ psi of boost maybe.

Be careful, Albert. And welcome to syty ownership! :rotf:

u sure? i thought the solenoid only helps the wastegate to keep it shut, not to open it?
i no trucks left that have this solenoid
 

Smkur50

SYTY Fleet owner
Re: 93 Ty 0301

if it were my truck..I would have to immediately clean the top side of that engine before my OCD took over and made me shoot myself.

All kidding aside..Behind the injector you can see the mouse poo..probably what chewed up the wire. I would find a good engine harness and replace it all and replace all the vacuum lines for starters.
 

blacktyaffair

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

u sure? i thought the solenoid only helps the wastegate to keep it shut, not to open it?
i no trucks left that have this solenoid

Boost pressure opens the waste gate and the solenoid controls the boost signal to the actuator. The solenoid modulates the boost pressure signal to the waste gate actuator to increase boost pressure. So, with out boost pressure, the waste gate would never open.

if it were my truck..I would have to immediately clean the top side of that engine before my OCD took over and made me shoot myself.

All kidding aside..Behind the injector you can see the mouse poo..probably what chewed up the wire. I would find a good engine harness and replace it all and replace all the vacuum lines for starters.

I think changing the whole engine harness would not be needed. I would check it of course but the damage would only be in an area the rats would nest up, like the engine. Bust out the pressure washer and wash all the hantavirus off that mofo!

Keep up the good work!!
 

KyS10

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

Yeah, I inspected everything I could see, without taking a bunch of stuff apart, for more rodent damage last night. It looks like that injector wire is the only place that got chewed up. I will probably shrink wrap it for now and plan on buying the new injector harness harness in the future. First, I'll be ordering that vac line kit because after looking at the rest of those lines under the hood they are very stiff and probably not far from breaking. Thanks for all the info. I'm new to turbo engines and there have been a few times already that I've seen something in the engine compartment and thought "What the hell is that thing?". I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions like that as I continue to work on this thing. My question for now is, will it hurt the motor to start it as it sits right now? I don't plan on driving it around, but if I need to move it out of the shop to move stuff around, is it okay to start and move it or do I need to push it in and out of the shop? Thanks again.
 

blue83z

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

Another victim of wiring chewed by mice. I found two myself on mine.
I hate those bastards. Turned my garage is like death row for rodents. If they make it in, they wont make it out.
 

KyS10

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

Cool. Thanks. I'll probably order the vac line kit and oil drain line tomorrow. Maybe I'll have it back on the road by next weekend.
 

berzerker

wookie
Re: 93 Ty 0301

my advise ... 1. ) take your time / dont rush or half ass things.

2.) get the engine & bay nice and clean .

3. ) do all the simple / easy reliability mods as time / money allow

4. ) read all the info here containing to modding / repairing

follow the advise and you will be rewarded with a well running truck . " until something breaks "
 

KyS10

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

I didn't get as much done on the Ty as I had hoped this weekend. Life happened and some money had to be redirected from the parts fund toward other things. So I wasn't able to order the vacuum kit or oil drain line yet. But I was able to get the new door locks and tailgate lock installed.

The door locks were simple as expected
IMG_0428.jpg


The tailgate lock on the other hand was a pain in the a$$. The old lock was broken and couldn't be turned to open the glass or tailgate. I unbolted the latch from the glass from the inside and was able to open the glass, but the lock was so ceased up that I still couldn't get the lock to turn from accessing it from the top. So I had to take out the plastic tailgate sill to get access to the screws across the bottom of the tailgate interior panel. Then I bent out the interior panel from the bottom and squeezed my head behind it to get acces to the back side of the lock so i could just pull the retaining clip out of it and pull the lock out. Eventually, I was able to get it fixed.

IMG_0423.jpg


IMG_0425.jpg


IMG_0424.jpg
 

KyS10

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

It's been a while since I've had time to work on the Ty. Work and school have had me pretty busy. But I was able to get the remote oil filter and lines removed and got a block mounted filter on it last night. I don't know if my shop floor is ever going to recover from all the oil that got poured all over it.

All the stuff that came off.
image-2.jpg


No more filter on the inner fender.
image-4.jpg


I'm going to coat everything in degreaser and try to get the engine cleaned up tomorrow.
 

KyS10

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

Ever have one of those days working on a vehicle where you get what you think is decent size project just to realize that you have what could be a much bigger one ahead? Well, that's what just happened to me.

I spent the last couple days deleting the egr system and replacing the turbo oil drain line with the one sold by RPM. After getting everything back together and feeling pretty happy about myself tonight I started it up. I took a look underneath to make sure the new oil line wasn't leaking and saw red fluid pouring from the bottom of the motor and immediately shut the truck off. From what I can tell it looks like the bracket that holds the trans cooler lines on the side of the oil pan has worn a small hole in one of the lines over time. When I was changing the oil line I saw what looked like a small amount of red fluid around the lines but there was so much other crud around the lines it was hard to tell where it was coming from. Apparently, when I was moving the trans lines around during changing the oil line I opened it up even more.

My question is, how hard are those lines to change? At first glance it looks like the lines go into the trans at a point where it would be hard to get to without lowering the transmission down. Anyone with experience with changing them out, I would really appreciate some advice on this. Sorry for the long post, just kinda needed to vent.
 

jeepruby04

New member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

It is possible to get the lines off the tranny with it up, you just have to be a contortionist and have a set of hinged line wrenches.
 

KyS10

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

Ok thanks. I'll have to go get a set of hinged line wrenches. The lines themselves are the same as a regular 4.3 blazer/jimmy aren't they? I know I've read that somewhere but want to make sure before I buy them.
 

blacktyaffair

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

I removed the lines on my ty with regular line wrenches but I'm sure hinged wrenches would help. I bought the braided stainless line kit and trans cooler from RPM. I would figure the regular 4.3 lines would work.

Still haven't pulled the vac lines off. Been busy trying to get the damage from the wreck taken cared of. Sorry. I'll get them to you eventually.
 

KyS10

Donating Member
Re: 93 Ty 0301

Thanks. I've got a set of regular line wrenches so I'll give them a try before I go buy some new ones. I hadn't looked at the RPM ones, I'll look into those.

As for the vac lines, send them whenever you get a chance. I'm not in a rush. I was able to make take a small piece of silicone line I had laying around and temporarily replace the one that was broken. I'll just leave it like that until I get the ones from you and then swap them all out.
 
Top