Best engine management for the money

BMFB

Not to scale
Re: Best engine management for the money

I've run nothing but code59 (tunerpro) Its super free...and I've had no problems with it, I got a base bin and my truck started right up and ran pretty ok, (some base bins start with 22 psi set, be careful of that...) it kinda depends on what you want your truck to do, but for a truck that was basically stock with a 3 bar and a pump, I was able to run it at 18psi, get good gas mileage, and have no knock...pretty quickly. as for running a 4l80, I dont know, i know you can set it to run diff TCC lockup times, and conditions, but I dont really know the difference between the 700R4 and that trans, i know 700s dont need a whole lot for electronic input though...

cant forget super free, but the only other software I've ever used is Neptune for hondas, and id take tunerpro over that shit any day (graphing is nice with TP)
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Best engine management for the money

Get whatever system you feel comfortable with and have the best support for.

They all do very similar tasks, and ALL will require tuning and tweaking. Nature of building a modified vehicle.
 

WyoSyclone

Active member
Re: Best engine management for the money

I've really enjoyed my work with Code59.... I wonder how many people used to do '58 and got kind of frustrated with it, and have never seen all the improvements in '59??

I would think that anyone running from the 10s up would be fine with '59.... and maybe those running faster than a 10 might do well with BS3 or an equivalent? Just seems like spending $2k to $4k on engine management, when the stock system with Code59 is so good might be a case of overkill.

I'd like to see a comparison chart showing the feature set of each tuning system.

I'd also like to see a fastest SyTy using Code59 class at the drags... or maybe just try to find out who has the fastest SyTy running '59
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Best engine management for the money

If you go here

http://bigstuff3.com/contact/

You will see that address matches. Meaney Brothers Corp.

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp/dt_corp.asp?id_nbr=01896D&name_entity=MEANEY BROTHERS, INC.

Articles of Incorp show 3 Meaney brothers being owners.

Be curious what info you have showing Harry is an owner also.

when B3# first came out harry was giving free injectors to anybody who bought a system, 500 in free injectors when you bought a 1200 system from him? yes all other dealers wernt allowed to do this, harry was the first dealer, he had boxes way before anybody else, harry was at Johns lab when it burned down "a barn in his back yard" and harry used to tell people he was the money behind it
 

ViciousV6

400HP/550FTLB
Re: Best engine management for the money

Harry Anderson is a Big Stuff 3 Dealer as well as Accel Gen 7 Dealer.

I would buy from Mike Lee @ RPM or Harry Anderson if you decide Big Stuff 3. We can get you a base file to start it up and get it down to Harry for Tuning -- As long as everything is working and no issue with boost leaks or anything else he can get it done and you will never need it redone unless you upgrade or change something.

The truck started up and ran the same everytime i ran it, when i was running ultimate Chip it had a diffrent mind everytime it ran and drove.

Ralph
 

REVEREND HARMON

Party in a box!
Re: Best engine management for the money

I've really enjoyed my work with Code59.... I wonder how many people used to do '58 and got kind of frustrated with it, and have never seen all the improvements in '59??

I would think that anyone running from the 10s up would be fine with '59.... and maybe those running faster than a 10 might do well with BS3 or an equivalent? Just seems like spending $2k to $4k on engine management, when the stock system with Code59 is so good might be a case of overkill.

I'd like to see a comparison chart showing the feature set of each tuning system.

I'd also like to see a fastest SyTy using Code59 class at the drags... or maybe just try to find out who has the fastest SyTy running '59

I have been researching this for awhile on who has gone the fastest on code59 with a v6. I have not read about anyone running in the 10's yet on 59. Bunch of people runing on 58 have though.
 

WyoSyclone

Active member
Re: Best engine management for the money

I have been researching this for awhile on who has gone the fastest on code59 with a v6. I have not read about anyone running in the 10's yet on 59. Bunch of people runing on 58 have though.

I would think it's just a matter of time.... '59 is relatively new and not a lot of people are using it, probably because they think it has the same limitations as '58. Maybe we could start a contest to see who show up at Nats 12 with the fastest '59 truck... maybe even a purse for the winner :D
 

REVEREND HARMON

Party in a box!
Re: Best engine management for the money

I would think it's just a matter of time.... '59 is relatively new and not a lot of people are using it, probably because they think it has the same limitations as '58. Maybe we could start a contest to see who show up at Nats 12 with the fastest '59 truck... maybe even a purse for the winner :D

Im game!..gonna move this to a new thread...im real curious now.
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Best engine management for the money

when B3# first came out harry was giving free injectors to anybody who bought a system, 500 in free injectors when you bought a 1200 system from him? yes all other dealers wernt allowed to do this, harry was the first dealer, he had boxes way before anybody else, harry was at Johns lab when it burned down "a barn in his back yard" and harry used to tell people he was the money behind it


internet said:
Despite having acquired plenty of street savvy, John further fortified his education by attending Elmhurst College (Elmhurst, Ill.) and earning a degree in mathematics and physics. He backed that up with a mechanical engineering degree from Valparaiso University (Valparaiso, Ind.). It was at Valparaiso that John began fiddling with EFI by fitting a prototype electronic fuel controller onto his '69 Camaro for his senior project. That endeavor led to discovering the limitations of analog systems and the importance of digital control.

After graduation, John moved to the logical destination of any aspiring automotive engineer: Detroit, Mich. He soon landed a job with OE-supplier United Technology Automotive developing fuel injectors. With the help of one of his siblings, John built a house in rural Hartland, Mich., that included an engine shop and dynamometer in the back yard. Two years later, he switched camps and went to work for Bosch as a design and applications engineer. Not only was his tenure there a great learning experience, but he also made many valuable contacts within the industry that would come into play later on down the road.

Indeed, this time period was a significant turning point in John's career. During his stint at Bosch, John's skills developing electronic control units and writing computer code really came into their own. Factory EFI systems did a fine job of accommodating simple bolt-on upgrades, but threw fits when bigger camshafts, forced induction, and aftermarket fuel injectors were added to the mix. While the rest of the world was baffled by EFI-burning chips in vain-John came up with the revolutionary idea of isolating the components that controlled fuel and spark delivery and then operating them with a dedicated stand-alone computer. Digital Fuel Injection was born, and John's invention was the talk of the streets.

Then came the big time. With the help of a local investor, John continued to develop and refine his DFI system. ACCEL stepped into the picture and partnered with John to bring DFI to the mass market in 1991. John headed the ACCEL/DFI program until 1996, when he left to develop the SEFIF8LO stand-alone system for Fel-Pro now FAST. John moved on to his next project in 1999, working as a consultant for several different companies, his most notable project being the Commander 950 EFI system he developed for Holley. Growing tired of working for people, John and his brothers Joe and Leo founded BigStuff3 in 2003, marketing John's most advanced fuel injection system yet.

:myclone:
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Best engine management for the money

Trust me , I saw the patents, Johns name isnt on them you forget I worked at DFI
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Best engine management for the money

Not doubting anything just my research comes up short I guess.

Curious what there is to patent. I know GM did fuel injection back in buick days, and I am sure even sooner. So that would be 1980's time frame.

The aftermarket systems have some nice user interfaces, updated hardware sure. But the logic and math behind it all from the little bit I know just isn't that much different.

Who's name is on the patent, we can pull that up and look. Just curious.
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Best engine management for the money

I think it was under accel but they were owned by Dana at the time then sold to gasketand now by prestolite, the big thing they patent is they way they control pulse width of injectors and such
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Best engine management for the money

Patents can't be made by a company, has to be done by a person. They can then be owned or rights by the company.

Been involved in them through work before.
 

warmpancakes

New member
Re: Best engine management for the money

Interesting found so stuff on the new gen 8 DFI


Has 8 AMP Injector Drivers
Select Injector Size Per Cylinder (VE MODEL is Per Cylinder)
Can Run Coil on Plug Application *****
Can Fire Smart & Conventional Coils
12 Selectable Coil Outputs
Total Dwell Control Over Entire Engine Operating Range
14 Selectable Ignition Types
Selectable Trigger Edges
Can Run Custom Crank & Cam Configurations (Design your own if you wish)
3D Programmable Timing Maps (4 to choose from on the fly)
3D Individual Cylinder Timing Control
3D Individual Cylinder Fuel Control
Selectable 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 or 5 Bar Map Axes
View Tables in KPA - PSI - HG - BAR
2 Channel Wide Band O2 Capable (8 Separate Target A/F Tables to cover all the engines needs)
2 and 3 Step Ignition Rev Controls
10 Configurable Outputs
Outputs Can Be Triggered Via (TPS-RPM-MAP-VSS-HWI)
State Of The Art Fully Programmable Launch Mode ********
State Of The Art Fully Programmable Trans Brake Control
Delay Box Control Strategy
5 Stages Of Nitrous / Power Adder
First 3 stages offer Pulse Width Modulation outputs.
Power Adder Timing Controls Via (RPM-VSS-TIME)
Per Stage Secondary individual cylinder timing control for power adder
Offers 16 Control Strategies for Nitrous/Power Adder Via (A/F-TPS-RPM-MAP-VSS-HWI-TIME)
Offers Boost Builder Controls For Turbo Applications
64 Channel Data-Acquisition W/Built In Logger. *********
Can DATA-LOG at 1000 Sample PER SECOND ***************
Offers Engine Diagnostics with Trouble Codes and stay run Technology. (Set your own default value for your sensors so if one fails, you can still race your car.) FYI, if MAP fail, system switches to ALPHA N still utilizing the VE Base Fuel Map Table.



the ************ interests me as we were working on this when I was there
 

JSM

Active member
Re: Best engine management for the money

Reading through various patents related I am not sure how many of those can make any claims.

Of course having a patent and being able to inforce it are 2 seperate issues.
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: Best engine management for the money

Reading through various patents related I am not sure how many of those can make any claims.

Of course having a patent and being able to inforce it are 2 seperate issues.

That, and the thing is going to expire in another couple of years. Patents aren't forever.

I don't think anything is stopping anyone from marketing a new Aftermarket ECU other than the fact that the money involved in the startup would be high, and it would take you a long time to recoup that investment at the number of devices you'd be selling.
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: Best engine management for the money

I have been researching this for awhile on who has gone the fastest on code59 with a v6. I have not read about anyone running in the 10's yet on 59. Bunch of people runing on 58 have though.

One thing that we haven't seen, is a stock ECU with a decent set of heads and a different intake.
Ie, one that has a hope of keeping airflow balanced.

The real advantage to any of the modern aftermarket ECUs is the ability to do per-cylinder timing and fuel.
With the exception of the Motec, all of he modern aftermarket ECUs do very similar things to the stock system with modified code. There is some neat stuff happening with the new generation of "self tuning" ECUs, too.

The megasquirt guys, given some decent hardware, have the most potential, as the source is open, and you can modify the behavior of the ECU as you see fit.

The real barrier to ECU adoption, is support, availability of a "starter tune", and easy plug-in wiring for the applications people want.
 
Top