Ignition Upgrades

smeagol

Active member
On the Buick? he used his existing cam sensor... they have an easy to get at one, right on the front of the motor. I have pics of one at home, I may use one of them to fab up a syty cam sensor actually. It looks like a miniature distributor.

The SBC guys have it easy, with distributors available that have sensors in 'em.

MSD does sell some components that would help out too.
 

smeagol

Active member
7

no i don't have one handy

your best bet is to hunt around www.ls1.com www.ls1tech.com local Fbody boards etc

Reason is that you want to get the harness too, and you'll find guys parting out used stuff for cheap, harness & brackets included. Typically can get the whole setup for 100-150 bucks. Bought separately, you'll pay more, then have to hunt down the correct plug for the coils
 

smeagol

Active member
guys build 'em up, blow 'em up, then find all new motors... then sell their old stuff, or new stuff

LS1 guys also like the truck parts - 6.0L blocks are in demand, also the 5.3 and 6.0 L heads are in demand. So some guys buy complete motors, part 'em out.

FWIW, there are 2 different types of coils, and they appear distinctly different - no worries, they are completely compatible. Just remember the plugs on the harness for 'em are different.

I may even have a spare set of coils at home.... not sure.
 

BigAl...

Member
Hey BG the bank to bank fast requires a cam signal and a crank signal, correct? if so does it get it from the stock dist?

BigAl...
 

BigAl...

Member
Ok so all we need is a crank wheel (v6 with 3 mags) and something like we made for the SBC I mentioned and of course the edist and we're done.

The wiring is straight forward. Crank wheel to FAST, cam sync to edist (preferably inductive p/u {esier to connect} [I beleive it's the third a,b wires]) one wire FAST to edist and six wires edist to coils.

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel (and it's the blinking red diagnostic light from the edist)

BigAl...
 

smeagol

Active member
Well my point is if you just modify the stock distributor to add a cam sync, you don't need a crank trigger.

V6 crank triggers can be tricky, especially fitting one to a stock syty motor.
 

BigAl...

Member
The crank signal coming from the stock dist is obviously a hall effect signal correct? why does our stock coil have four wires?

BigAl...
 

BigAl...

Member
smeagol said:
The stock distributor already generates a 3x pulse. If you tear it apart, you'll see 6 points, generating 6 pulses per 2 rotations .

Thats one way to cheat and not design a crank wheel. cheap bastarts

BigAl...
 

bdubb

I am teh kingpin!
should also ad me and max had to make up a harness for his coils, and he got the weatherpack connectors from Casper..


so if you're going to make one up, and need the wiring diagram, no worries, i have it.. letme find it.....
 

10secTy

Sy-Ty builder and Tuner
Me and Tony helped a friend set up a Edist on a 1969 camero.
He used a V6 distributor out of a 1996+ vortec it has the proper cam signal you need.

Nolan
 

BigAl...

Member
Ahhhh the canadian connection reveals some secrets. although I'm already sourcing some coils for myself, lets not loose focus, TTony did run 10.71@126 on a STOCK ignition system.

BigAl...
 

BigAl...

Member
Hey bdubb, I would appreciate it if you could post or email that diagram, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do this.

TIA
BigAl...
 
Top