Too cool to spool

randy merritt

Donating Member
Well, I can officially say that a 2800 stall converter is to tight to spool a 74 mm turbo. It was worth a shot anyway. The thing sounds and looks cool as hell, but I can't build any boost at launch, and it doesn't really kick in until I hit second gear. I know I could just get a 3500 stall converter and the turbo would work much better, but I don't have the motivation to do that at this time, so I will be putting my GT35r back on the truck. I will keep the turbo, as it would be perfect for a turbo SBC or LS motor in a future project, and I got the turbo for a good deal. At least this gave me the motivation to make a new FMIC setup, which I will be keeping and using with my old turbo.



Here is the intercooler installed. I am working on painting a junk grill that I cut up to fit. I am at about $300 all in for the intercooler install.

 

johne30m3

Junior Member
Re: To cool to spool

Re: To cool to spool

Well, I can officially say that a 2800 stall converter is to tight to spool a 74 mm turbo. It was worth a shot anyway. The thing sounds and looks cool as hell, but I can't build any boost at launch, and it doesn't really kick in until I hit second gear. I know I could just get a 3500 stall converter and the turbo would work much better, but I don't have the motivation to do that at this time, so I will be putting my GT35r back on the truck. I will keep the turbo, as it would be perfect for a turbo SBC or LS motor in a future project, and I got the turbo for a good deal. At least this gave me the motivation to make a new FMIC setup, which I will be keeping and using with my old turbo.



Here is the intercooler installed. I am working on painting a junk grill that I cut up to fit. I am at about $300 all in for the intercooler install.


Thats a sweet looking intercooler setup!! Who makes that core?
 

Sean Krupa

Moderator
Re: To cool to spool

Re: To cool to spool

That sucks. Was looking forward to hearing what you thought of that Turbo under Boost. What are your AFRs while tryin to build boost? Maybe you have to Lean it out some and Add Timing.

I know mine needs to be Leaned out a little for Spool up, but my 3200 Stall drives nice around down.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: To cool to spool

Re: To cool to spool

I think there is no simple fix to get it to spool. I am pretty lean around the spool area, and the timing is pretty high. I can't build more than 2-3 psi on a boost launch, and I can't build more than 2000 rpm. With my 35r, I could easy hit 12-15 psi on launch, and 3000 rpm. It pulls like a raped ape when the turbo kicks, but I want more of a driver. As it sits now, I would get killed at a red light race.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: To cool to spool

Re: To cool to spool

Timing at 2000 rpm and 0 psi = 29*
AFR at same point = 13.8

I am open to suggestions if I am missing something.
 

Damian

Member
Re: To cool to spool

Re: To cool to spool

Garrett is better! I can get 15-16psi off the line on the streets. Get a billet wheel for that 35. Im looking for one for my 37, but I cant find one the same size as mine.
 

Quickstop [UK]

Combating adversyty.
Re: Too cool to spool

Randy, do you feel in the mood for some experimentation?

I saw a T4 spacer which had a valve for the different scrolls on a twin scroll turbo. At low power, one scroll is closed but as the rpm climbs, both are open. It acts to increase spool on a bigger turbo. It would be interesting to see if you could use that.

supra_2267_345948851


Quick spool valve.

Do you have stock manifolds and are they twin or single scroll? They need to be single. I can't remember...

:2cents:

Curious? :D
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: Too cool to spool

Stock manifolds, single scroll turbo. I really think the only logical fix is higher stall, which I am not willing to do. No big deal, I can have the turbo swapped out within two hours once I get one 2" x 2-1/2" 90 reducer that I ordered.
 

randy merritt

Donating Member
Re: Too cool to spool

Welcome back, GT35r. I can swap turbos out in less than an hour and a half now. Now I have to wait on a coupler that I ordered so I can hook the turbo up to the intercooler.

 
Top