What does everyone use for winter tires?

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3
I would never put winter tires on my Sy, but I had a set of Nokian winter tires on a 85 Toyota Supra. They exceded my expectations (they were recoomended to me by an autocross guy). The Supra wasn't that fast but it was respecetable best of 15.0. I was able to actually floor the car in 2nd gear in a couple inches of snow and accelerate (it did spin some, but very controllable), my Typhoon with its all season michelin in snow spun the tires more at 30 mph. Previous to my friend recommendation I had never heard of them, but since seen quite a few recommendations of them.
 

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013
I have a set of sy/ty rims with some Z-rated all seasons on them, don't remember what make though.

previous owner used them.
 

MikeRenz

not stock
ABLITZ said:
MikeRenz said:
i'm putting blizzaks on my sti.

i heard many people recommend those for a winter tire.
plus i picked up a used set for $300 :)
blizzak2.jpg

blizzak3.jpg
 

blownamigo

TYed Up Member
I had best results in snow with 4 EAGLE ULTRA GRIP GW plus a set
of chains in the front. Just loved that trip to St. Moritz.
You can drift and slide with full control over the front wheels,
plus if you hit the brakes it really stops with those chains.
Make sure you downsize to 225/55 R16. You will love the handling
even on dry roads and the choices are way bigger then in 245/50

If you really wanna make use of the Sy in winter conditions, go
grab a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 for €144/pcs @ reifendirekt.de
thats probably as good as it can get. Stay away from All Season tires
they are useless on snowy roads and worthless for cornering even on
dry surfaces. If you plan on doin a trip to the mountains only once or
twice this season but would like to stay on the save side when it comes
to rubber compound for cold conditions and water displacement on wet/slushy
roads when going highspeed on german freeways you can't go wrong with
Goodyears Eagle Ultragrip GW.
Just my 2¢.

Blown' 8)
 

KGB Pilot125

New member
if you want to get serious about some winter traction then go with 15 inch steel wheels and some studded tires. thats what I had for my 1st Syclone, still have em too. Just trying to decide do I want to drive the STi or the Sy in the snow.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
I dont have any problems in the snow with the TY. I use Fulda Extremo. Sounds kinda corny but a good friend of mine who has them on his SY sold them to me and I like them. 255/50/16. I can set the pace with them in the snow.

Mike
 

TurboManiacal

Donating Member
KGB Pilot125 said:
if you want to get serious about some winter traction then go with 15 inch steel wheels and some studded tires. thats what I had for my 1st Syclone, still have em too. Just trying to decide do I want to drive the STi or the Sy in the snow.

I've been keeping my eye out for a set of 4wd Blazer rims (I have a particular style in mind) but haven't come across a good deal yet. That was my original plan. Now that I have a few other options I'm gonna lean this direction.
 

TurboManiacal

Donating Member
blownamigo said:
I had best results in snow with 4 EAGLE ULTRA GRIP GW plus a set
of chains in the front. Just loved that trip to St. Moritz.
You can drift and slide with full control over the front wheels,
plus if you hit the brakes it really stops with those chains.
Make sure you downsize to 225/55 R16. You will love the handling
even on dry roads and the choices are way bigger then in 245/50

I guess this is the information I was really looking for. 225/55/r16. Blizzacks don't come in 245/50/r16's.

If you really wanna make use of the Sy in winter conditions, go
grab a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 for €144/pcs @ reifendirekt.de
thats probably as good as it can get. Stay away from All Season tires
they are useless on snowy roads and worthless for cornering even on
dry surfaces. If you plan on doin a trip to the mountains only once or
twice this season but would like to stay on the save side when it comes
to rubber compound for cold conditions and water displacement on wet/slushy
roads when going highspeed on german freeways you can't go wrong with
Goodyears Eagle Ultragrip GW.
Just my 2¢.

Blown' 8)

The plan is to keep two (actually 3) sets of rims with different sets of tires already mounted and balanced. I have the newer vette rims sitting in Smaug's Dad's garage waiting for me to pick them up. (January?)

The Syclone will see only heavy snow days. It's already been proven to me that the GTO will not do well at all on these days. Time to put the AWD to use. IF I need a little better handling I'll throw on the other rims or just drive the GTO.

I know it sounds libelous...but to me this seems to be the best way to go.

Thanks for the inputs.
 

ronniejoe80

Member
Ryan, are they using anything on the roads for traction or melting aides? Make sure you clean it really good after driving if they do. I nearly had to strip mine apart to clean before it went into storage, and I had just driven it one time in the bad weather.
 

TurboManiacal

Donating Member
ronniejoe80 said:
Ryan, are they using anything on the roads for traction or melting aides? Make sure you clean it really good after driving if they do. I nearly had to strip mine apart to clean before it went into storage, and I had just driven it one time in the bad weather.

They use some sort of weird salt liquid that they spray on the road. It virtually assures that the roads are fairly clear and little to no damage by the "rock salt" method in the States but it also makes sure that your entire underbody is completely coated in salt.

I think by spring I'll be doing a complete POR restoration on the Syclone anyhow.
 

TYTILIDIE

METH HEAD
I believe the liquid is called SODIUM CHLORIDE. They use it here in Colorado Springs but only in the downtown area. The stuff works pretty good I have to say. I found this guy who is going to polish my rim faces for $50 a wheel and I was going to have it done around Christmas time. Should I wait til spring? Will salt/sand mixes and the liquid stuff mess up my newly polished wheels?

Mike
 
Top