CANCELLED - 2016 SyTy Nationals

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY
Re: CANCELLED - 2016 SyTy Nationals

My point was, that instead of being so goddamn cliquish with our groups, maybe if we ALL worked together and communicated better (FAST, MAST, NASTE, etc) and sit down and say....alright, lets help plan a national event that works for all parties FIRST...... then schedule our own regional stuff.....MAYBE there could be a better focus on attendance to pull off a National event.

Not a bad idea. Maybe just alternate each year: one year local/regional events only, the following year, a national event only.

I could see some fun games at the national event, with regional "teams" taking on each other a decathalon-type series of events with a revolving trophy.

gary sy

You missed my point Gary.

I didn't say cancel any regional meet plain and clear in my post.

My point was, that instead of being so goddamn cliquish with our groups, maybe if we ALL worked together and communicated better (FAST, MAST, NASTE, etc) and sit down and say....alright, lets help plan a national event that works for all parties FIRST...... then schedule our own regional stuff.....MAYBE there could be a better focus on attendance to pull off a National event.

Right now, all the regional groups quickly plan their events and people schedule for the time to go to them. That basically means that anything National has to get planned around those regional events as to not "step on toes" for lack of a better term. Im asking to take that formula and reverse it. Schedule a Nats first.....then plan regional events around it.

Im not asking for regional groups to cancel anything. But if we (each region) maybe focused on the big picture of collectively having a huge event, we could pull it off like the early years of Nationals where having 100 trucks and 200-300 people was to be expected. At this very moment, we didn't even get near 50 trucks let alone 200 people....

You want my personal viewpoint? Id gladly cancel all the FL meets if it meant that I could get 25-30 extra trucks to goto a National event. Why? Cause Id rather have one huge meet with EVERYONE (which included my local crew) hanging out together standing in a parking lot sea of SyTys over doing a local meetup. I love my local crew. I like hanging out with them. To me it would be even better to hang out with my local crew plus every other person across the US at the same time though. Strength in numbers is the way I see it.

Again, Im not asking anyone to cancel anything. I just wanted to throw out an idea or try different formula for the chance that something is planned in the future.
Im not here to make waves, you said smaller meets and gatherings take away from National events I simply disagreed.I am only trying to keep it alive not watch the SY/TY passion just Die ! :tup:

SYO237

SyTy Registry

Not a bad idea. Maybe just alternate each year: one year local/regional events only, the following year, a national event only.

I could see some fun games at the national event, with regional "teams" taking on each other a decathalon-type series of events with a revolving trophy.

This. 100% what Im talking about.

SYO237

SyTy Registry

Im not here to make waves, you said smaller meets and gatherings take away from National events I simply disagreed.I am only trying to keep it alive not watch the SY/TY passion just Die ! :tup:

Yes, in my opinion, they do. And let me clarify to what I mean for smaller events/meets/gatherings:

- Shindig
- Homecoming
- Carlisle

NOT your weekend local BBQs, wrechfests, memorial meets, etc.....although there has to be some margin included for those too, but mostly negligible IMHO.

Reason being is that there are people out there (myself included) who can't afford multiple events per year due to expenses, distance, broken trucks,, and *insert every other excuse here*...... Some of us would love to do multiple events per year. Reality is, how many of us really can afford to?

In short, it seems the events held nowadays seem to compete with either other....and to me, that hurts the community as a whole. Again, my viewpoint....I have no solid backing proof to show this. It's apparent that some were using Nats as a driving force to get off their ass an finish their trucks. I think that part is what hurts the most to read about having to cancel.

While this idea has been tried and presents it's own issues, this is the type of coordination and effort I think would benefit this group if we all could collectively agree on sticking to it.

Im not trying to kill passion here....Im just trying to come up with something better so that in the future a post about an even being canceled due to low interest levels doesn't happen again. To make this sort of thing happen isn't an individual effort. It's a group one. Id like to one day stand in a parking lot and see this again:

20110316091334-0b3000e6.jpg

That wasn't even all the trucks....

cloneman315

I know one thing that has happened to myself and others possibly is when I joined the site I was fairly young and did not have much going on during that time period in my life. Now being married and kids and with a growing company its very hard sometimes to find the time for family things yet alone for anything else . When I have time I want to go on vacation to the beach or Disney not the racetrack etc. And honestly I have just lost interest in the truck somewhat over the years.

Last edited:

mattw

I know one thing that has happened to myself and others possibly is when I joined the site I was fairly young and did not have much going on during that time period in my life. Now being married and kids and with a growing company its very hard sometimes to find the time for family things yet alone for anything else . When I have time I want to go on vacation to the beach or Disney not the racetrack etc. And honestly I have just lost interest in the truck somewhat over the years.

Exactly.. I don't think its so much a lack of interest but its more of a reflection of current priorities that most of us have at this point in our lives. For the most part we all fall in a pretty close age group. A group that is very busy with family, job and other life events. I suspect that in another 5-10 years, as our kids start to leave the house, interest in these trucks/events will pick back up.

D. Sea

A429

Sorry to see this cancellation. We were planning on attending but not with the Syclone as it's still in need of a LOT of TLC.

Based on my experience helping with other events I'd suggest trying to piggy back the SyTy Nats onto another similar event that's already scheduled.

Love BG... We used to go there at least once each season for NMRA World Finals or testing with friends from Tenn.

Syclone Rob

Its all ABOOT the SYTY eh

Sorry to change subject a little, but to those that have registered, When will the refunds come back?

Captain Morgan

Moderated User

Sorry to change subject a little, but to those that have registered, When will the refunds come back?

Soon hopefully, the treasurer has been notified to send refunds, they may be away on business right now and just haven't gotten the email.

MikeRenz

not stock

This sucks, I have non refundable hotel reservations. Thanks a lot ! ! !

The SyTyNats group booking is fully refundable. If you chose to not stay with the group and got a room somewhere else, then I do not feel that you should be "thanking" NATS for losing out on money.

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

Cloneman makes a good point about the age of SyTy owners and the point where some of us are. In the past, when we have done age survey's the majority of us were high school/college age when these truck were new. I don't know if the core group is still that age, but I suspect it is. A

As these truck age, I think it become less probably that owners will travel long distances. I am willing to drive my 25 year old truck this year 2000 miles to Kentucky. At some point in the future, I probably will not. Will I tow my truck long distances I do not know?

Another observation I have seen is that the forum posting activity is down drastically over the last couple years. It seems like SyTy Facebook these days has just as many responses as this forum. This sort of reminds me of the transition from email message list in the 90's to the web forums in the 2000's. On other forums I am on, a similar trend is happening. since this is small community it seems more noticeable to me.

Given these trends, it saddens me a little bit that this could be the end of the national meet as it was. Thanks to those who have volenteered thier time to organize a meets.

cloneman315

I looked today!!! June 2002 was my join date.... Good god the time went fast!!

0966Sy

Code what?
Joined June 2000 here, that pic above from Nats in 05 I can see my Ty. Oh yes how time goes by. Turning 32 this year and greater things happening in life has my old hobby on the back burner. I think both cloneman an dgoohue hit the points dead on and I'll agree 100%. I'm not on Facebook, so I'll continue to post here.

ziembic

Donating Member

I too am in the non-Facebook club. I would like to thank the NATS committee for the hard work they put in to try and make this possible.

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY

Cloneman makes a good point about the age of SyTy owners and the point where some of us are. In the past, when we have done age survey's the majority of us were high school/college age when these truck were new. I don't know if the core group is still that age, but I suspect it is. A

As these truck age, I think it become less probably that owners will travel long distances. I am willing to drive my 25 year old truck this year 2000 miles to Kentucky. At some point in the future, I probably will not. Will I tow my truck long distances I do not know?

Good points here. Let's assume the median age of a current SyTyer is 36. Well, that's our prime working (i.e. "career building") age AND "raising a family" age...and these things become a priority.

Along with meets, these trucks also need wrenching, and people of this median age simply don't have the time they did in their 20's.

The good news is, this cycles back around. Ever notice the average age of guys at cruise nights?? RETIRED!! Because they have time to wrench and shine. And well beyond the empty nester years (when you will still be working to put your kids through college).

While SyTy's will always have a mystique and uniqueness, the other deterrent to this group growing is that today, you could pick up a brand new car that's just as quick, gets good mileage, is safer, and starts every morning.

cloneman315

I am also not a Facebook user.... Hate social media. Good for some things but bad for most.....

NOJIMMY

In my opinion (though I rarely come here anymore)...

Its unfortunate that a National Syclone-Typhoon-SoGT Event can't happen due to insufficient attendance.
I wonder (aloud) if having the following might have increased signup:
-The fastest Trucks (V6's, LS's, whatever) in attendance to promote a gathered shootout?
-A major sponsor (such as Speed Inc who performs engine swaps) as a promoter/open-house participant
-A facility (with multiple proving grounds) to encourage competition between GM vs Ford vs MoPAR Performance Trucks 1-on-1 for excitement
-A Club Clash between GM Trucks (Trailblazer SS, 454 SS, Syclone/Typhoon, Silverado, etc) for enthusiasm and friendly rivalry/competition

I personally believe its a series of things which make an large exclusive Syclone-Typhoon event improbable going forward;
-Age (owner/truck), Reliability, Parts, Expertise, Cost, Event Competition and Bang-for-the-Buck (when compared to other offerenings)
-Value (and fun factor gained) when compared to local events and family expectations
-Decreased compatibility and familiarity between members, trucks and taste/goals
-Wow factor (to whats available currently from new dealerships, speciality manufacturers, custom shops, etc)
-Competitive National Events Available (consuming vacation and interest) like Woodward, Hot Aug Nites, Hot Rod Events, Car Craft Events etc
-And Locating a neutral popular site for central comuting (that doesnt become stale and subject to weather issues)

If I were to use Colorado as a example of offerings, it seems like an uphill battle for the SyTycommunity due to
-Organized Sanctioned Street Racing (like at PPIR) offering variety, recognition, and challenge
-1,000 to 1,500 attendees at monthly "city" cruises (like Golden) for meeting, bench racing, and comparison shopping
-Bandimere sponsored monthly events (like Chevy Show, Truck Fest, Club Clash, Test-n-Tune, Mile Hi Nationals) for racing
-Tri-State Car Shows (GoodGuys, Pueblo, Denver Auto Show, etc) for showing
-Pikes Peak, Airport Mile Events and Sponsored Autocrossing for road racing
-And Major Open Houses at Car and Machine Shops (such as Gibtec/V. Gaines) for viewing/participation

In hindsight it may take some re-tooling (like Sportmachines at Carlisle) to attract the SyTy Community going forward.
Or lesser expectations ......(unfortunately). But its nice to see folks trying rather than just wishing (to get together).

Anarchy99

It's funny to read the Non-facebook stuff... For the longest time I thought I had to be the only one not on there. Glad to see that isn't the case. When I was in Memphis still, 3 local car scenes I was a part of either went away for lack of participation/interest, or went entirely to facebook... where I wouldn't follow. Maybe I'm just stubborn I guess. I enjoy the web forums like this, and I do notice that a ton of them have way less participation than they used to, and a lot of the participation on the forums I visit are either die hard club members that consider it more of a family, which is good for any car club, or older people... God, does that mean I'm getting old?!

SYO237

SyTy Registry

For those who DONT do the FB group, I will tell you straight up, you aren't missing a damn thing.... in fact, the only thing you are missing is the utter stupidity of post topics that come up daily and then when something does actually get posted that could be useful, you have people who have no clue or up to date information posting bullshit answers and inaccurate answers all over or you have people who want to argue with you. It's more of a playground than anything else IMHO.

The f*cking memes......i swear if there was a function to have those shut off, it would have been done long ago.

For awhile, I wasn't paying much attention here to the forum and more on the FB group....I now find Id rather be back here on the forum and limiting myself to what I post in the FB group.

Truth hurts. But Im not the only person with the same outlook.