click click click

Raist103

Engine Killer, iPhone Killer, Lawnmower Killer
we had some problems with my friends ty starting right after we shut it down. we have no problem when it sits for some time though. so my other friend that works at a dealer took it in and had them check it out and they said it had a draw on the starter. so we replaced it. now just a click click when tring to start it. when in N nothing no click or start. he had the battery relocxated before he got it with a starter selinoid and all new wires. when we replaced the starter we only had a groung going to the starter itself, so we only replaced(just put that wire back on) that wire. shouild there have been more wires that i am missing here? could there be another problem i am missing?
 

JSM

Active member
Stock starters, or replacements pretty much bite the big one.

There is so much heat down there, they don't last long, and give you the clicky clicks.

It does start when cold right? Or is it DEAD now?

I personally would replace it with a gear reduction, CVR, etc.

i have had mine for 7+ years and it is still going strong.
 

Raist103

Engine Killer, iPhone Killer, Lawnmower Killer
just put it in 5 min ago in the rain, in front of my apt. brand new starter, just did not start back up. battery dead?
 

Raist103

Engine Killer, iPhone Killer, Lawnmower Killer
for those thaT wanted to know the guy that did the starter selinoid did not run a power wire to the alt, he just jumped it with a piece of copper on top of the starter. i just missed it when i took the old one off.
 

Syclone#892

Member
I agree get a gear reduction starter, they are so much nicer and they actually last. The ones you buy at parts stores are junk and you will get very familair with changing them out. At my work we constantly warranty the checker, bosch, autolite, etc starters/alternators. I have a delco mini starter it is a permanent magnet starter so its not affected by heat like the stock starter. Just go to the store and ask for a starter for a '97 tahoe or something like that.
I am not sure how the remote solenoids work but stock starter there should be one heavy gauge wire and one small gauge wire as far as I remember.
 

kwick6

Donating Member
Syclone#892 said:
I agree get a gear reduction starter, they are so much nicer and they actually last.

Yep, very glad I went with a mini starter. Melted a wire after the install and got stranded at the post office, but I had the tool box in the truck :D

was back on the road in matter of minutes. Never any problems since, whatsoever.
 

steve-o

Member
i get the dreaded click too. it eventually starts but can be frustrating at times, especially when i'm on a date. :bad-word:

Syclone#892 said:
Just go to the store and ask for a starter for a '97 tahoe or something like that. .

sweet!! is this starter a straight forward install? is the wiring config on the solenoid the same as stock?

thanks
 

Syclone#892

Member
Steve o yes the starter is bolt in and wires up like stock but is much smaller. I am not sure if gm used anything other than them on a newer truck but say its a 4x4 and they should get it right. Oh and I am not sure about the core charge you may have to buy it and return it later and see if they notice you gave them the wrong one back. My dad does starter/alternators for a living so I got mine cheap I am not sure what you would pay. These are decent starters but the best are nippendenso which is what cvr uses so if it looks like that then it is a good style and should last forever. I would stay away from the tci brand or similar those are cheap hitachi starter as far as I remember and they go out fast from my dads experience.
 
B

Blake

Guest
I like that tip on the smaller starter for the 97 Tahoe. I'll have to go check that out!
Raist103,
I don't understand what you are running into.
The alternator wire comes no where near the starter. It runs completely separate. The large gauge wire is the only thing running off the battery to the starter.
The small purple ignition wire is the only other wire running down to the starter.
Where is the copper "jumper" at?
The setup I'm using uses a jumper here:
http://www.syty.huryde.com/html/Tech/starter.htm
You have to use a remote solenoid setup for this to work.
Look around to see if you can find a remote solenoid on the truck in question. If there is a copper jumper on the starter, it is for a remote solenoid and has nothing to do with the alternator.
I've had tons of problems with starter issues until I did the HowTo. Kits are sold for this as well if you don't have a hardware store nearby.
If you want to see wire runs for the syty, look here:
http://www.syty.huryde.com/html/sytytech.htm
And scroll down. He's got everything on there.
Blake
 

Raist103

Engine Killer, iPhone Killer, Lawnmower Killer
sorry it should have been


for those thaT wanted to know the guy that did the starter selinoid did not run a power wire to the "STARTER OR PURPLE WIRE", he just jumped it with a piece of copper on top of the starter. i just missed it when i took the old STARTER off.
 
B

Blake

Guest
I get it. You found the problem and didn't need help anymore. You forgot to put the jumper back in. You did and your set now.
Cool.
Sorry for the confusion.
Blake
 
Top