Fender flare options and Ideas

Blazerspeed

So as some of you guys know, I don’t actually have a Typhoon. This leads to an issue when it comes to wheel and tire fitment. Rather than use the Typhoon cladding to allow wider wheels and tires, I’ve been trying to come up with other ideas. The goal has always been 315s out back and 275s or 315s in the front.

The overall theme for the truck has always been a track rat that can be driven on the street, but with the overall feel of an early 90's Grand Touring or Group E racer. I thought about using the original urethane fender flares – Much like ShuggsRR did on his clone project, but I don’t think they would allow enough coverage, or give me the look I’m going for. Not to mention, I don’t want to have a truck that looks like something some one already did. Which is by no means a knock against him, his truck is friggin inspirational.

There are two generally different ideas I’m currently tossing around:
The first was to use the Bushwacker extend-a-fenders much like this truck did.

pc070104nt3.jpg

pc070106wj0.jpg

I know some of you had some great things to say about it in this thread, http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64826

But the flares in my opinion aren’t terrible. On a cleaner truck I think they look much better.
IMG_7562.jpg

Another option along this same vein was to use the full on cut out style flares, but I think that might be overkill and not truly the right look I’m going for.
untitled.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Bushwacker-Body-Gear/148/41009-11/10002/-1?parentProductId=1149935

In my head I see a style that resembles this:
jin-z2.jpg

008__scaled_600_003.jpg

The fear, however, is that I’ll end up with this:
clown.jpg

So the next option I came up with was to use box style flares. I think the 1st gen S-series trucks as a whole have the right body lines to pull this off. They were used predominantly in the 80’s and 90’s, so period wise they match the overall style I’m going for.
E30 M3s, Datsuns, and Audi’s have always been the best examples of this look.

eurp_0907_02_z+bmw_e30_m3_other_projects+bmw_e30_m3.jpg

8621_3.JPG

14.jpg

img_0491_45b28_25016358.jpg

ProdFest2010race160.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Definitely open to any and all suggestions.

ghettogmc91

Re: Fender flare options and Ideas

OEM black flares look real good and will give you the best fit. Theyre not real big but definitely enhance the look and tuck a bit more tire.

Blazerspeed

My truck originally came with the OEM flares. As far as looks go, they weren't bad, but they held a ton of water. Between those and the spare tire carrier on the tail gate, they attributed for the majority of the body rot that was on my truck. I know I have this option, but like I said I'm looking to do something a little different.
With that said, I do appreciate the responses/input.

TNPhoon

1of28

Is there a pic of your truck on here?

I like #1 and #2.
#1 may be a lil too big IMO, but it would depend on what your truck looks like and what other "effects" it's going to have (ie: bumper cover? same like pic? different?)

#2 reminded me of the newer 2dr blazer that an employee at work has. That's a clean truck. I think those would look really good and not so much "in your face" as the #1 if the truck in the pic wasn't sitting up so high.

The BMW ones aren't bad.
The Mustang looks like someone stuck it in a vice.
The plasticy tack-on ones on the Miata I'm not a big fan of though. Dunno. To me they just look cheap.

92TYPHOON937

I have a body kit off an extended cab s 10 I'll take pics of what they look like when I get home from oc

Blazerspeed

Is there a pic of your truck on here?

I can post some up for you. These are from last July, she pretty much looks exactly the same.

She really isn't much to look at right now. More or less just a sand colored basket case. I have to fix a lot of body work on her that was done previously, so I figured, what the hell, might as well go for the gusto. The good news is that she no longer has any body rot, the bad news is that she never knew what she wanted to be...EG 3" body lift and front and rear custom roll pans. :tdown::tdown::tdown:

As far as what is going to be done - Front bumper will be stock, but shaved of all bolts, and narrowed to meet the fenders exactly. Basically what HectorM52 did to the front of his S10. The main difference being I'm keeping the shaved Bravada grille I already have, and making a w30 hood to match it.
DSC05336.sized.jpg

I've never liked the way the lower rear quarters angled up to meet the ass end, so on the rear I'm removing the previously installed roll pan with the caddy lights and replacing it with a mid 90's Toyota 4Runner rear bumper assembly. This will require me to cut out part of the quarters, but I'm up for the challenge. Also the tailgate is getting a custom made set of tail lights that will wrap the rear of the truck.

Attachments

• DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0013.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TNPhoon

1of28

It may just be the picture or maybe they modded the ones on the purple truck, but they look wierd. I don't like how they don't go "all the way down" to the bottom of the fender. I think it would look better if they did. I would have to place my vote for the type on the red one above.

ghettogmc91

Your probably going to get some rust regardless of which style. You could always bolt the factory ones and fiberglass them smooth to the body to reduce rust, or fab some metal ones and glass them.
If your gonna buy some tho id agree with the red one. Painted to match they probably wouldnt look out of place like the first style does

Blazerspeed

It may just be the picture or maybe they modded the ones on the purple truck, but they look wierd. I don't like how they don't go "all the way down" to the bottom of the fender. I think it would look better if they did. I would have to place my vote for the type on the red one above.

They are actually the same flares. The only thing I would do if I decide to go with these would be to trim down the ends. Basically removing the weird pseudo-mudflap lip that they have...this is assuming I can even find these anymore as Bushwacker no longer lists them on their site.

Blazerspeed

Your probably going to get some rust regardless of which style. You could always bolt the factory ones and fiberglass them smooth to the body to reduce rust, or fab some metal ones and glass them.
If your gonna buy some tho id agree with the red one. Painted to match they probably wouldnt look out of place like the first style does

I've thought about glassing them in, but I'm not a huge fan of that over all look. If I go the box flare route (like the M3) they would be made entirely from metal.

This kind of gets me thinking though...I'm curious as to how a subtle box flare (1-1.5" total arch height) along with the stock flares would look.

Blazin_Jason

Have you been able to find the extend a fenders still? Last I heard is no longer available. Have you seen these, or know anything about em?

Ruddell

Blazerspeed I have good news and bad news. The good news is I know the exact fender flare you are after! The bad news is you will never find them unless you find a Norwegian first gen thats getting parted out. At first glance you think they are bush wackers but they are actually obese versions of the OEM 1/2" ones...

61820_482556315294_529340294_7335994_5582844_n.jpg

Blazerspeed

Have you been able to find the extend a fenders still? Last I heard is no longer available. Have you seen these, or know anything about em?

No I hadn't seen those. They appear to be the same as the Purple truck above, I'll have to give them a call, see if they even have them.

Ruddell - I've seen ones similar to that on a red S10, but I never knew where they came from. Now I know :roll:

Attachments

• Little Red Scrapper.jpg
    Little Red Scrapper.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0

sharkbait

i like the M3s of the late 80s that you posted pics of. but that would prob be one of the most expensive options.

Blazerspeed

To do the box flares? I don't think it would as expensive as it would be time consuming. All the metal work is going to be done by myself and my brother. He does custom paint and body work on bikes, and has always been my go to for body work.

I wouldn't use M3 flares, the plan would be to cut the quarters and fenders and arc them out to give myself the clearance and look I'm going for. Again...this is if I decide to go this route.