Made my first Datamaster run today....

supersports10

New member
Re: Made my first Datamaster run today....

took a look and your o2 mv look good,around 930. only maxed out the injectors once at 104%, as you let off.

the only thing of concern is the complete lack of boost control.

it spikes at 15.8, then dives to 9.6, then bounces between 11 and 15:(

forgot to take a look at your intake temps.... will do that tommorow.
 

supersports10

New member
Re: Made my first Datamaster run today....

took a look at intake temps, and they arent bad,

but what worries me is that throught the entire session the coolant temps never move, they are stuck between 142 and 143.

this leads me to believe that you have a stuck open thermostat.

if it is a 160 t stat, it should at least read 165 or better.
 

Tophatjimmy

Syclone FNG
Re: Made my first Datamaster run today....

OK, I'll pull the T-stat and look/replace it. Simple and cheap enough.

I need to replace both coolant temp sensors. The one in the intake manifold is probably OE and the one in the head doesn't work, my temp guage barely moves. :(

The boost control concerns me. Can I improve this without going external WG? Maybe port the exhaust and WG housing?

My $$ and time are really limited right now, so major surgery or parts replacement aren't practical...
 

bezerk

New member
Re: Made my first Datamaster run today....

Tophatjimmy said:
OK, I'll pull the T-stat and look/replace it. Simple and cheap enough.

I need to replace both coolant temp sensors. The one in the intake manifold is probably OE and the one in the head doesn't work, my temp guage barely moves. :(

The boost control concerns me. Can I improve this without going external WG? Maybe port the exhaust and WG housing?

My $$ and time are really limited right now, so major surgery or parts replacement aren't practical...

stay out of boost, if you don't have the money to rebuild
 

Don W.

Stab it and steer it
Re: Made my first Datamaster run today....

FWIW department here's a DM run with flat boost. I can't point a finger at what I did to get this. What I did do was change everything in an effort to pass smog, but that's another story. Suffice to say new Dist, EGR, o2, TB, see mod list. o2's are high.

Any other comments on this are appreciated BTW, no hijack just wanted to show relatively flat boost on a stock turbo & controller.

This run was 13.445 @ 97 against a hellascious head wind. However the 60' was 1.769 my second best.

http://www.sonic.net/~donpris/AutoLog_188.uni
 

Tophatjimmy

Syclone FNG
Re: Made my first Datamaster run today....

I think before I start removing parts I'm gonna get off my ass and get motivated first. There are a few fundamental things I haven't done yet. New vac silicone hoses are first on the list. I think I may have a crack or leak in one of my OEM hard lines. My truck idles great unless you let it sit in PARK for a few minutes, then it starts to stumble. I'm gonna start there and then move down the list.

BTW, a guy I know is really into the Turbo Dodges and Chryslers. He's got a pretty sick Omni that he drives around. He said he's make up a granger valve for me for next to nothing if I wanted. How well do those work on our trucks?
 

turbodig

Active member
Re: Made my first Datamaster run today....

Tophatjimmy said:
OK, I'll pull the T-stat and look/replace it. Simple and cheap enough.

I need to replace both coolant temp sensors. The one in the intake manifold is probably OE and the one in the head doesn't work, my temp guage barely moves. :(

The boost control concerns me. Can I improve this without going external WG? Maybe port the exhaust and WG housing?

My $$ and time are really limited right now, so major surgery or parts replacement aren't practical...


Good boost control (given a stock chip and WG system) should be +/- 1 psi of target, max. Finely tuned, less than .5 psi swing is possible.

Typical causes of problems:

WG arm sticky when hot/free when cool
Boost control solenoid bad/hoses/plumbing
Leaky WG servo canister
Incorrect WG arm adjustment.
Large swings in Air/Fuel Ratio.
Open exhaust.

Haven't seen your file, so I can't tell you for certain what yours is doing, but this would be a good place to start.

A bleeder/grainger is not going to fix the above problems.

Later,
 
Top