Official shirt of MD Sy Owners

Try Me

Re: Official shirt of MD Sy Owners

LMAO This had me absolutley histerical when i saw it! ! I swear it Jeff, I had no idea that would happen! I logged in this morning and changed my avatar to a pic of the crown, and when i logged in this afternoon i didnt even see at first that my avatar had been changed to the t-shirt!

For those that missed it, or didnt make it to Nats at all this year, here is a quick summary of events at the track Saturday. If you werent there, you really, really, really need to be there next time!

This was the first time I have had the truck to the track since i finished the LS swap (not to mention i drove it 650+ miles down and had to make that drive back). I had no idea what it was going to do but the butt-dyno told me on the street it was as strong or stronger than my old v6 setup which had gone a best of 11.23.

I was able to make 4 time runs with my truck before eliminations started, with the first time run next to Jeff's Ty. My truck felt ok for the heat, and my a/f ratios were in the 10.4x:1 area on the first run. It went 12.03, 11.96, 11.93, and 11.90. On the first time run with Jeff his ty went 11.59, he had me covered by almost a full half second even though our mph was similar. His truck showed to be consistently in the mid 11's in his following time runs.

Well, pulling back to the pits after the 4th time run the truck had a problem. Turned out my exhaust crossover pipe blew off of the drivers manifold. The truck was hot, i mean HOT, so i attempted to inch my way down to the problem without burning every bit of skin off my arms. I pulled my cobra elbow and air filter and the charge pipe, then let it sit and "cool" while i took a look at the data logs from the previous runs.

I had gotten the a/f ratio right on 11.5:1 for the whole pass and had tons of injector left. So i put 2 more degrees of timing in the file saved on the laptop (not actually in the ecu yet) at my max 8psi to maybe find a tenth or two since i knew i was behind. Then I heard the first anouncement for trucks to start reporting to the staging lanes and figured i was running out of time. So I lay down the laptop and get back to wrenching. With help from my Dad and a borrowed pry-bar (thanks again!) we were able to get the crossover back in place. Well Im tightening the clamps when i hear "Tom Joy Outlaw SYTY report to the staging lanes". Jeffing great, i start cranking those wrenches like theres no tomorrow. Get the clamps on the exhaust tight, get the charge pipe in place and Dad tightens one clamp while i tighten the other. We get it tight, i grab my helment, get the hood shut and take off.

I get up to the staging lanes and guess what. Its just me and Jeff for the first and final round of Outlaw SyTy (thanks John for letting us have that one :tup: ). Im thinking "great, he has me covered by a half second". So as we climb into the trucks i yell to Jeff "im going to tree the hell out of you!" since i knew that was my only chance.

I pull around the water while Jeff does his burnout, and give mine a little dry-hop to make sure it builds boost and pull to the line. We get staged, start building boost, and the lights start coming down. I let off the brake and instantly thought "redlight!" But no, i see green out of the corner of my eye and Jeff's ty disappear in the window. I had a .021 reaction time. Not bad for being rusty :p

I start stretching the throttle cable! Im in the truck literally yelling "go truck goooooo". I see Jeff pull it closer by the 1/8th, but then i start to pull it back and im thinking something is going wrong with his truck. We go through the traps and I am beside myself. I get my 2way radio turned on and Dad says "well that must have worked". I say what and he tells me "11.21!" There was nothing wrong with Jeff's truck, in fact he improved on his own personal best with a 11.44. Dad proceeds to say the truck must have really liked that 2 degrees and I tell him i never go to load the file.

Well as it turns out, the only change we made was that we didnt have time to put the cobra elbow and air filter back on the truck. Without that, the truck picked up from 11.90 to 11.21 and from 116 to 123mph. Needless to say, to pick up that kind of improvement means that cobra elbow and air filter are really killing the truck, probably close to the tune of 80hp or more.

I have an ok video of that run, and hopefully some other people get video posted up, because it was just a fantastic race. Both trucks left good, and went down the track nice and straight.

So, I will forever be known as sandbagger :rotf: and Im ok with that :tup: There is sooo much more left in both of our trucks, its only going to get more interesting.

Besides, i know next time I get lined up with Jeff, it will be a let it all out, guns blazing, battle to the very last inch, which is just the way I like it!

JSM

It has to be one of the best races I have ever had myself. We both had flawless runs really, i didn't pull a bad light but I also had thought going in be sure you don't redlight either I can make up a slower light down track, I can't fix a redlight. So my RT was a .156.

Mine 60fts a tad better so I got some of my light back but then he kept pulling on me ever so slightly. I was pissed thinking my truck had lost power, .5 second should have been the other way around.

I was even more laughing when I got my best time of day on that run and Tom got a time even better. It was great for both of us and he found a problem that might have taken awhile to find otherwise.

I can't wait to run these trucks again, it was a great day for sure. The most important thing is my Race with Renz I won. Now he has 2 years to talk about his excuses and I have 2 years to unload some sandbags from my truck for tom.

R&C_RallySyTy

Little Big Man

Personally, I have really enjoyed reading over this thread. I missed out on many awesome events and things that have happened at NATS11. I look forward to one day posting a similar story of a glorified race story of my own at a SyTy event. Keep up the good wrenching guys!