CANCELLED - 2016 SyTy Nationals

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY
Re: CANCELLED - 2016 SyTy Nationals

What are the comparable events around the country like Carlisle??

Woodward
Pleasanton
Others?

Maybe Carlisle becomes the regional model where we piggyback on huge events (as has been said in several other posts) and try to get as much participation as possible. Let others do the planning while we gain from the exposure.

graham1524

Go read it again. I said nothing about not having or canceling regional events for the last time.

I said we all should work together (representatives from all the clubs/regions) and maybe focus efforts on putting together a national event, then schedule regional stuff around it in an effort to have good attendance.

Heres the thing though....not real much enthusiasm is flowing here anyhow about Nationals. Look at the views vs responses. Theres a handful upset. A few with some feedback. Where's everyone else who's a member on here with a truck? As posted, everyone seemed all hyped up when it was being kicked around to do one....then we start coordination and everyone that was interested wasn't.

Jimmy is probably correct. Nationals is dead. I certainly enjoyed the past ones I attended. Sorry for those who never experienced it and looking forward to it.

I get this, from both points of view, now that Nats has been cancelled and shindig was cancelled this year for nats then the only event that is available to go to is carlisle. Maybe this will push owners to make it to carlisle and we'll have a big crowd there.

randy merritt

Donating Member

I'm going to go ahead and throw in my 2 cents. I think we as owners (especially those that have been around a while), have become jaded to these trucks. When we are among other syty owners, having one of these trucks is no big deal. Most everyone has been there and done that. When we are around other car enthusiasts that don't own a syty, however, the trucks get a lot more attention. Sometimes it is hard for us to understand that a lot of car buffs have never seen one of these rare vehicles. This is why I think inclusion in a larger car event (like Carlisle), makes owners feel more proud of their trucks, and gives them a change to talk about them to folks that aren't already experts. Just my thoughts.

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY

I'm going to go ahead and throw in my 2 cents. I think we as owners (especially those that have been around a while), have become jaded to these trucks. When we are among other syty owners, having one of these trucks is no big deal. Most everyone has been there and done that. When we are around other car enthusiasts that don't own a syty, however, the trucks get a lot more attention. Sometimes it is hard for us to understand that a lot of car buffs have never seen one of these rare vehicles. This is why I think inclusion in a larger car event (like Carlisle), makes owners feel more proud of their trucks, and gives them a change to talk about them to folks that aren't already experts. Just my thoughts.

Agree. AND at the same time, I enjoy meets like our Fall meet where we can shoot the sh*t with old SyTyers without having to explain what they are.

Both have....merritt. :cool:

randy merritt

Donating Member

Agree. AND at the same time, I enjoy meets like our Fall meet where we can shoot the sh*t with old SyTyers without having to explain what they are.

Both have....merritt. :cool:

Agreed. The smaller meets are a great place to shoot the sh*t. A lot of the guys don't even bring trucks, but just come to hang out and talk (meaning drink beer).

syclone3

:rotf:Cool it Jimmy. We don't need anymore of your smartass comments on here everytime someone has an idea or suggestion.

Baythan

SY2TY2SY2TY

:rotf:Cool it Jimmy. We don't need anymore of your smartass comments on here everytime someone has an idea or suggestion.

that was like 20 posts ago. Way to re-open that can....

here we go...

NOJIMMY

What happens now? ...is the consensus from subscribers who registered or the Nationals Committee

• -that large Nat's SyTy gatherings are probably a thing of the past, or that cancellation was a fluke

• -that SyTy member interest is not sufficient for future large SyTy Nationals, or requires readjustment to attract more non-involved folks

• -that a venue change (time, place, location) is needed like Carlisle, or conducted for only 1-day at a members house

• -that future cancellations every two years is just business as usual and no changes will be made to resolve low attendance/high expectations

Kinda hard to determine if the glass is half empty or half full for future SyTy Nats.

SYO237

SyTy Registry

What happens now? ...is the consensus from subscribers who registered or the Nationals Committee

• -that large Nat's SyTy gatherings are probably a thing of the past, or that cancellation was a fluke

• -that SyTy member interest is not sufficient for future large SyTy Nationals, or requires readjustment to attract more non-involved folks

• -that a venue change (time, place, location) is needed like Carlisle, or conducted for only 1-day at a members house

• -that future cancellations every two years is just business as usual and no changes will be made to resolve low attendance/high expectations

Kinda hard to determine if the glass is half empty or half full for future SyTy Nats.

As a committee member -

- Yes, as I see it, the Nationals are at this point, a thing of the past. Lets face it, it's been a struggle for the past few Nationals to get them done.....and not a fluke. No interest, didn't have enough attendees for our goal to continue. Canceled. Done deal.

Based on the lack of posts of people chiming in other than the people who have already posted already in this thread I think is your answer. There is no interest and I dont see to many people heartbroken over it. Does that mean a future event will never happen again? I nor anyone can answer that. Im sure if a motivated group got together and put it together and busted their asses and really see how much work it is to put an event together is, sure...another could happen in the future, why not?

I put my suggestions up.... other than people misinterpreting them and thinking I want to cancel all events, I dont see much anyone else other than Baythan suggesting ideas. Once again...no interest.

Change the venue all you want. It'll be the same thing over and over and over and over. People complaining it's to far, those dates/times dont work, etc.

Again, the reason why SyTys@Carlisle is successful, it's an "event" piggy backed onto a pre-existing event that is going to happen be it any SyTys show up or not. It's not a SyTy Nationals where we put on our own together from scratch. You can't compare the 2 whatsoever. Maybe that is the key moving forward is to find an event to piggyback. Maybe SyTys@Carlisle already is your new "Nationals".

End all, Ive put effort into this group for many years and helped do my best for many events. Im not going to fully speak for any others not he committee, but my time these days is more valuable elsewhere rather than sit here and post the same crap over and over and beg for people to come to events. Times have changed. The core group has come and gone and the new generation of owners rather have FB meme wars and argue about racing 1000hp SRT8s and being able to beat them with a 400hp truck. :roll:

If someone eventually steps up and wants to lead an effort to make a future "Nationals", by all means...have at it. I'll gladly throw my input in if asked or needed, but my days of begging and pleading and promoting to what I feel is an empty room is done. If no one does step up, well.... I certainly had some great times at our National events in the past.

Consider this as my retirement from Nationals Committee.