My own Nationals Recap (very wordy)

MikeRenz

not stock
Well, first of all I'd like to thank the rest of the committee for everything that was done. I think a lot of undue credit is being slung my way - this was FAR from a solo effort. There were a few snags here and there, coupla time delays that we couldn't help, some heat/humidity that we could have done without...but overall i think everyone had a great time, and i'm very happy to have been a part of the planning.

Unfortunately for me, i was so exhausted the entire weekend, that i don't think i really go to sit and chat with anyone for more than a couple minutes. Anyone that i didn't get to talk to, or was seemingly ignoring - i assure you that i was just busy w/ NATS on the brain, and couldn't make myself slow down at times.

MY thanks go to:
  • my g/f Jen - allowing me to ignore her the entire weekend and not doghousing me for it :lol:
  • Morgan - the trophies were sick! All the legwork for those shirts sure paid off too!
  • Jim Minton - the local Sy owner that helped us out very much
  • Mike from the Machine Shop - working on my truck seemingly all day Friday so that i could more safely drive/race...for practically no cost...amazing.
  • Gerber - finding/solving my real problem - stupid disappearing bolts
  • Harmon - having a bunch of bolts to replace said missing bolts
  • whoever it was that had a spare wastegate gasket - THANK YOU!
  • Jeff Scott - sabotaging my truck / stealing wastegate bolts...is winning really THAT important?? ;)
  • my parents - showing up even though i warned them i'd have 0 time to spend with them
  • water balloon toting kids - i guess when i said "attack the parents" i shoulda said "attack the parents that don't have cameras" :rotf:
  • everyone for attending and pushing the attendance numbers through the roof!!

As for my truck...

Most of you probably know that i'd just put a new (nats '06 raffle) transmission into the truck, and had about 20mi's on it before starting the 660mi journey down to BG. The truck had all of 206mi on the build when i left my house. I haven't had time to go through the truck and retorque everything...which bit me in the butt. As soon as i picked my truck up from the tranny shop, anytime i hit boost there was a horrid metal on metal clanking sound. I thought it was the flexplate tapping the starter gear, becuase you heard/felt it at your feet.

So i took the truck over to a machine shop and crawled under it, the starter gear looked unscathed, but my flexplate looked bent as hell. Little did i know that such a thing as a mushroom shaped flexplate existed. But still, i was using a torque convertor meant for a v6, on a v8, which has a different length snout - so the machine shop spaced out my flexplate and machined down the nose of the convertor all day friday while i was busy with registration and the corvette museum. This was comical to me since i was happy to finally have a Typhoon at a NATS...yet my truck still wasn't actually at the event. :lol:

Then my truck showed up at the museum, i take it for a quick test drive...and the sound is still occuring - great. The work done was still needed, but it didn't fix my problem. Oh well, i wasn't going to show up at NATS after talking smack and NOT race. :rotf: So i made a quick pass w/ the ty filled w/ crap, and ran a 13.4 or something. Hmm...i knew it wasn't pulling hard since playing on the highway on the caravan down i couldn't even keep up with Raist's srt8 jeep. I removed all the stuff from the Ty and made another pass to a blistering 13.2 i think. Yup, running horrible. Couldn't go faster than a 2.06 60', wasn't running/sounding right...and i could here the laughter from the stands.

So my races vs. jeff all i really cared about was winning the tree since i knew there was no way in hell i was gonna win. Cut a .112 r/t, which i thought was good given my seat time in the truck. Get the truck back to the hotel after dinner, and was talking to the tuner guy - Dave Henninger (great and friendly guy btw) and we (me and gerber) pop the hood to show him what he's workin with - and Gerber noticed that my wastegate is barely attached! The 2 bolts on the pressure side were completely missing...and one of the out side was extremely loose - thus my rattle! The gate is on a flex pipe, and was slapping against the downpipe under boost. Harmon to the rescue w/ a standard bolt box w/ lock washers...and while i found/installed those Gerber went through and tightened up everything else that'd backed itself loose. I also noticed that the nut holding the diaphram on inside my passenger wastegate was just sitting there and Gerber also took the gate apart and fixed that (he'd mentioned that had happened to him once, so maybe everyone should check those from time to time).

So by this point it's 8pm on Saturday, and at 9pm we're starting the raffle/award ceremony...what better time to start tuning?!?! :lol: So me and Dave Henninger went for a long cruise working on driveability and a little boost tune. Sure enough, holding 6psi, spooling WAY quicker, and best of all no rattle! So now the truck is running considerably better, but the track is long since over - oh well...story of my life.

Oh yea, did i mention that my tranny program (4l80e) was on the fritz. This too was fixed - Big Stuff 3 somehow though i had 50.5" diameter tires - super swamper typhoon! So the mph was reading just about double on BS3 than actual travelled - throwing off all my shifts. So Frank (Autoaddictions) worked with Henninger while i ran to the awards to try to get my truck a little more driveable ready since i have another 660mi trip in the morning.

MikeRenz

not stock
Re: My own Nationals Recap

Re: My own Nationals Recap

Sunday morning, time to go home. Get all packed and i hit the road w/ my new tune. Truck is running great/fast...but converter isn't locking in 4th gear until about 90mph...thats not gonna work so i pull off and work some more on the tranny tune. Get it all fixed up and back on the road....running great.

For about 200mi or so.

Truck shuts off. Now i should mention that the tune of my truck needs some work, and it does cut off by itself from time to time. The off throttle idle dumps gas in, and i think that on top of the tranny tune not downshifting when it really should is just stalling the truck out - i'll get to it now that NATS is over.....but anyway.... the truck shuts off while going like 87mph. This is had never done. There were some noticeable lean spots in the tune, and i think i was driving in one of them. Let it sit for a minute, start back up and drive another 20mi and it does it again. Great. This time it wouldn't restart. Hmmm.

Let it sit for 5 mins, put the old tune that i drove down to nats with back into it, starts up...but then dies shortly there after...this time i coasted off the highway and into what used to be a gas station. Smokey Mountain Cafe or something. Very weird place. I start texting everyone from the NE to see where they are. Somehow Alwayswantedone and Sy381 at 5mins behind us and they pull over with us. So its a sunday and i'm trying to locate a tow dolly in podunk KY. Not happening. Then Adam and i decide maybe i just have fouled plugs from all the mistreatment the thing was getting w/ the wastegate and dumping fuel in under boost from the other side. So i fire up the Ty and drive 16mi to the closest Advance Auto...and adam and i start getting to work on the Ty checking plugs etc. the 1 plug that we could get out (turbo headers are fun, aren't they?) with our lack of tools....looked perfectly fine somehow. Hmm....odd.

So we decide to just load up and press on. Fill up with gas at the station right beside Advance Auto and hit the road. Start driving and my fuel gauge is on the fritz and now i'm wondering if i shorted something while messing with plugs. Truck cuts out again. WTF. Get it fired back up and off the next exit and pull into the gas station. Jeff is like "didn't we just do this?" I said yea but my fuel gauge is acting all stupid....so i refill up with gas (mind you, this is only like 37mi from the last time we filled up)

17.2gallons. WTF. Apparently the fuel nozzle at the last gas station cut off on its own w/o actually filling my truck up. I didn't even look at the price/amount or maybe i woulda realized. :lol: So i guess the sputtering/cutting out that time was simply a lack of gas. Odd.

Start driving again, and truck starts shaking real badly. WTF. Change lanes a bunch of times to compare truck shaking, and pavement seems to have no bearing on it...so i pull off at the first exit. Slow down, and the shaking goes away. Get back on the highway and everything is back to normal. Still have no idea what that was.

So we drive another couple hundred miles...and everything is good. I'm on my pig rich tune, but driving fine. Stop for dinner at the best place EVER - Steer Buffet & Menu. Had some funny times in there...close that place and then hit the road again. We're just about to get to Cumberland and i fly past the exit we need. Problem is there is no where to turn around...3.1 mi up to the next exit - and GPS is telling me to just go back. another 3.1 mi back to the turn i missed. Then the gps i guess was too quiet or something, and i swear i was watching closely...maybe i just more tired than i thought....but i flew past the next turn also (which in my defense was pitch black there) but still pathetic considering i have a gps. So i just follow the gps some 6 mi detour to get to the road we're trying to get to. Get there and my gas gauge is real close to empty. No gas stations in sight. Press on and hope. Look for gas stations on the gps and they ALL point backwards...i hate goin backwards so we press on hoping there will be one ahead.

Nope.

Ran out of gas. SWEET! So i drift backwards down the hill a ways and park in a driveway and send Jeff and Adam and his wife Valerie on a gas recon mission for me. Problem is, they were low on gas too and unsure if they'd make it the 10mi back. :lol: I guess the station i sent them to was closed too...or they decided to go to a different one...i dunno....but they made it, filled up...and brought a capless/spoutless gas can of 2.5gal to me. Pouring that into the Ty took some Macguyver action by Adam w/ a water bottle...but we managed. Then i was pissy and told them just to get goin while i take the gas can back the 14mi to the gas station - praying it was enough gas for my gas thirsty truck. Sure enough, it was. fill up and get going home. By now, my ETA for the trip had gone from 8pm when we first started the trip...to now 3:30am! WTF.

Also i should mention that this was the end of about 3200mi of driving for me in the last 3 weeks - Plus i'd gotten probably about 18hrs of sleep since wednesday so i'm exhausted.

So my biggest thanks of all....goes to

• Jeff "Alwayswantedone" Monetta
  • Adam "Sy381" Kane
  • Valerie Kane
Without them i'd be who knows where still, or truckless, or something. Plus Adam had to miss a 1/2 day of work today since i delayed their journey by about 5hrs. While driving that last leg i was explaining to my g/f Jen why i love this community so much - that it's well beyond just owning the same truck...and more about actual friendship. I've been in other car groups before and there was never such comrodory or willingness to help - regardless of what effort/time/$/commitment it takes on the person trying to help you out. It truly amazes me that time after time the members around here pull through with help when others are in need.

So thanks everyone for a memorable event! I'm enjoying looking at the pictures that everyone is posting..since thats about the first time i've gotten to really look at the trucks that were there and take it all in. I believe the official count for trucks was 62.5 (sy2206's trailer is the .5) !!

JSM

Re: My own Nationals Recap (very wordy)

Nice to see you make it Renz. You have some time now to up the ante for our next Battle.

I might just put my boost up a notch or 3 also.

On to the note you mentioned about our community being more about people than trucks. Our local guy Jim who goes to all the events in Bowling Green told me we were the best group of people by far, above the vette guys, buick, any group. He said he didn't met anybody that wasn't willing to help him out with his ty motor, and just in general the great group of people we have at nats.

This is a good thing for all of us and credit should be taken by all and a word to future owners. This is a group more about friends than trucks, we just use the trucks as an excuse to do these things.

UR50SLO

V6+2=LSXCamaro

Sounds very "eventfull" Wish I'd gotten to talk to you some more but I knew you had alot going on.

Thanks for all the hard work man!
~Scott and Family!

BigBadSmoosh

Picking fights on I-65 since 2013

exactly.. i love driving my truck, i love/hate working on my truck.. it is all worth it when we all get together and families/friends/strangers get to spend their free time doing what they love.

bigsmoosh loves mikemuffins

MRKING

New Parts for Old Trucks

Well i was just happy to finally meet you Mike . Sorry to hear your string of bad luck too . Im just glad you didnt challenge me for my broken truck award and got the ty sorted out .

MikeRenz

not stock

jeff was able to tow...you were not. They were going to my house too since adam's truck was there. :p

dgoodhue

BuSTeD 4.3

Thanks for letting my father and I stay at your play last night. I tried to say good-bye, but I think all I got was grunt from you :) Given your trip I understand. I am sure it was hot as hell.

skwayb

NWSTP

Renz,

Glad you made it back safely. Hopefully you can get your tune sorted out and give Jeff a hurtin. You have a beautiful truck, fix the small problems and enjoy the heck out of it.

Thanks for all your work to make NATS happen along with all the other volunteers.

GarnetTy1473

Donating Member

[*]water balloon toting kids - i guess when i said "attack the parents" i shoulda said "attack the parents that don't have cameras" :rotf:
X2, and I'm not even a parent yet. It's all good. The camera still works. And I'll work on getting a drag race dvd made from nats once I get a better computer to handle it.

Try Me

Glad you made it back Mike. I didnt see your text till about 3 hours later when i replied. Not that i would be much help anyway ;)

Just driving that distance in a truck with no A/C wore us all out, let alone all the additional headaches.

You get that truck dialed in, and you can battle it out with Jeff for a shot at the true King of the V8 trucks :tup: :rotf: :D :p

vinnieTy

TY # 1889

Sorry i couldnt help as well Mike but i was crossing over into OHIO I decided to go another route to pass on those DAM hills in West Virginia and Maryland.

alwayswantedone

Donating Member

No problem and anytime Mike. It made for a interesting journey back thats for sure. Even with the back woods eateries and thinking we may be killed in some kind of ritual at some of those places it was a great time. I will send you the pics so you can post just how "special" the place really was.

sy381

Well Mike, What an eventful first Nats! It was a blast! We are ready for the next one. Hope its closer. :lol:

Raist103

Engine Killer, iPhone Killer, Lawnmower Killer

just sel me the truck and be done with it :)