5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Ok, got the tranny back yesterday and put it in last night. Tonight we put everything else back together. I'll be at street vibrations tomorrow but when sunday comes, it's on... rear diff lube and tranny fluid is all we need before we finally drive this thing. Fingers crossed
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Well we finally drove it yesterday!!!! Found a few leaks but nothing major. Whoever made the engine harness mixed up the fan wires. The wire labeled fan, wouldn't switch the relay so we rewired that to the correct wire. Also, the alarm that came on the Ty is having some issues so we are probably going to pull it out. We will hopefully fix the leaks tomorrow. Cobra198 has a short video of it moving. Don't know if he is going to post it.
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

any updates?

yep..... tranny is garbage. After dealing with the previous owner pushing the pump in when installing the tranny(wouldnt make any pressure), the shop that built the tranny replaced it and charged us for just the new pump. The shop then tells me that it wasnt making any pressure after testing it and they need it for another day to diagnose. Next day they say tranny is good to go. I pick it up and we throw it in. It now drives(video afew post up). After that we hooked up a pressure gauge and its making like 5psi at idle and 30 when reving it for the first 1min. After that wouldnt make any pressure. DAMN IT! Then I talk to the tranny shop and they tell me to bring in the whole vehicle. I tow it in and they said they will call me when its done. 2 weeks go buy and not a word. I call them and they tell me that they dont know what happened but the tranny is TOAST. I was like WTF this thing had like 30ft on it since you guys built it. The shop owner tells me that its the ecm. I tell him its bull sh!t because its the same base tune as my Sy. His then says the tranny needs to come out. I tow it back to my house, pull the tranny, and take it back to the shop. 2 weeks later still no word. I call them and he tells me that who ever put the shift kit in F'd it up and the valve body is toast along with the tranny. I was livid!!! Told them that cant be possible because they did the shift kit when they built the tranny. He tells me it had to have been the previous owner. Then he tells me he will only charge me parts to fix it to the tune of $1400. I say forget that. I tell them to put the tranny back together and I will come pick it up Tuesday(this was last friday), he said OK. Leave work early and drive 30min there and he just tells me that its still in pieces. WTF! I dont know how this guy is in business! I cant prove who fault it is either way for the toasted tranny but how about some customer service! Either way, I got another 4L80e sitting in my garage that will be in this weekend.
 

jpalmer

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Uh oh, sounds like someone needs a beatdown........just ain't right. sorry to hear. i love this truck, and really really really really want it. just can't afford it ;)
 

QuinnSY

Donating Member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

There are verry little tranny shops around who actually know what they are doing now a days... They don't understand how the trans works or why it keeps breaking the same way, they just replace what the know and keep doing the same thing which doesn't fix the problem! The only good shop I know of is in Texas and I may have mine shipped all the way out there to now its done right! I'm sure theres a few good ones in Cali, I just haven't found it yet...
 

jpalmer

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

In cali, Team Ramco, but they moved to Yuma. Still a great shop. kinda pricey though.
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

The thing that drives me crazy is that I don't even want a built tranny for this thing. A stock 4L80E with a shift kit will live behind this thing forever.
 

jpalmer

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

The thing that drives me crazy is that I don't even want a built tranny for this thing. A stock 4L80E with a shift kit will live behind this thing forever.

My trans is being built by a guy by the name of Chuck, Performance Transmission. In San Diego. He is doing mine, but i have no prior experience with his work. Thats why i didn't mention him. He builds a lot of awd tbss and ss trans though.619-596-0226 don't know if this helps you though.
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Well we put a new(to us) tranny in today. Drives and shifts like we hoped. Put about 30 miles on it today. God I love this thing!
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

time for video.....

I wish I had one to post! We got the tranny in yesterday and have put about 50 miles on it so far. GOD I LOVE THIS THING!!!!! Finally have a tranny that is working flawlessly. Im gonna drop it off with cobra198 on tuesday so hopefully we can make a video to post then. After driving around we fixed two leaks we found and checked over everything we can think of.

I can believe that I actually get to drive this thing to work tomorrow! :D
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

So I'm sitting here at work staring at the typhoon out my office window. It's been a while since I've had a smile on my face like the one I've had all day. Im gonna see if my brother can talk a video for me when I get home to post. This thing is just too cool to not have a video of it.
 
Top