5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

sharkbait

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

good thread. your getting alot done pretty quickly. keep up the good work.

VIPERRACING, hes 22yrs old, i dont think you need to refer to him as a "kid".

and for a "kid" hes getting shit done.
 

VIPERRACING

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

good thread. your getting alot done pretty quickly. keep up the good work.

VIPERRACING, hes 22yrs old, i dont think you need to refer to him as a "kid".

and for a "kid" hes getting shit done.

Just trying to help him out. I dont know to many 20 year olds that can afford to buy turbos all the time.
 

VIPERRACING

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

First off, i thiink that you were coming off as a dick. Second, there is not going to be any large amount of backpressure that would make the welds come apart. Third, Wow you must feel like a big man with all your fancy expensive cars. I dont care about how much the cars you own are. I am building my second dream vehicle already.

Another thing is that i dont know why everyone is stuck on me being 22. I will say that i dont know everything, there are a tom of people on here that know way more than i do. But I am out there didnt these things. Using the knowledge that i have. Everything that I have done i have taught myself.

Also a 5.3 is what the truck came with. Between paying my mortgage and buying parts for this and my syclone a 370 was not in the cards

Lets not fool yourself, the only reason that you thought that I was coming off as a dick is because "you do think that you know more then everyone". Thats your first mistake.

2nd, I was actually happy to see that you were tackling the job on your own and that is why I thought that I would show my concerns, among other members that have pm'd me, about all those little welds.

3rd, I wasnt trying to impress you with any of my cars, I just thought that you should know that you werent talking to a newbe and to let you know that I have been around the block a few times and was just showing my concerns. Trust me you will understand what Im saying once you get older.

4th, I am honestly very happy for you that you are building your dream car.

5th, You should really read what you just said about knowledge. Word to the wise, if someone is giving you free information then take and use it. Dont think your the first guy that has ever built a set of headers let alone a car from the ground up.

6th, I already knew that you were on a budget by the way that you were talking and just thought that my input might help save you some money & time in the long run.

Now back to you build.:tup:


P.S. Sharkbait, he is still a kid that from what I can see and is going to be very successful in life if he just opens his mind to not thinking that he knows it all and to be smart enough to take in free info from guys that have already been where he is trying to go, and I was just wondering if you ever bought a turbo yet or were you just picking my brain for free. Oh I forgot you know it all thats why You called me with all those questions. LOL
 
Last edited:

Norm

Donating Member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

How about some pics of those "high end" toys?. Anybody can go and buy something. I'd rather build it, just for some people it might take a year or 2. This 22 year old "kid" has knocked one out the door already and #2 should be finished very soon. While the exhaust manifolds might not get the truck 6 figures in a barrett jackson auction, they are doing the job. There's some you tube vid's of that thing actually driving on the streets.I give it 1.5 thumbs up, he's get 2 thumbs if that was supercharged, but that's my personal taste not his.
 

Syclone Rob

Its all ABOOT the SYTY eh
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

If you want to give advice.. give it and thats it... its up to the person if he wants to use it or not......
Now Lets keep this thread on topic.... PLEASE.....



Great job guys.... you are already doing more then I have at the old age of 32:rotf::tup::tup::tup::tup:
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Now that's advise.

We will probably be sticking with 8psi. I need to find out the size spring that's in the tial wastegate. I'd like to run the smallest spring possible and get a aem boost controler like I have on the syclone. The tial 44mm wg shouldn't have any problems keeping the boost down. Don't know if we will run the wg into the atmosphere or into the downpipe yet. I want the wg to be right next to the turbo and in clear view since it's so pretty.
 

T-Bone

Active member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Wow, I never even noticed his age until I revisited this thread and read all the subsequent posts.....I am now even MORE impressed with what he is doing and his remarkable talent and to be honest, I wish I could do what he is doing!!

You keep up the awesome effort...it will pay huge dividends in the end when you wax the big dogs in their 6 figure dream cars :).
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Wow, I never even noticed his age until I revisited this thread and read all the subsequent posts.....I am now even MORE impressed with what he is doing and his remarkable talent and to be honest, I wish I could do what he is doing!!

You keep up the awesome effort...it will pay huge dividends in the end when you wax the big dogs in their 6 figure dream cars :).

thank you
 

cobra198

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

We finally had some time to work on the Ty today. Got the turbo all mounted up and most of the crossover done. Couldnt quite finish, cause we still need to order a flex hose. Its nice to finally see the turbo system starting to come together! We need the tc78 off of the Syclone to start on the downpipe, so hopefully Eviltwin will be able to find a deal on a new turbo soon. Also, we got the alternator situated nice and close to the engine. We are going to make a mounting bracket that will let us pivot the alternator to adjust the tension of the belt. Should look pretty clean! Here are some pics:

IMG_0105.jpg


IMG_0104.jpg


IMG_0106.jpg


IMG_0107.jpg


IMG_0109-1.jpg


IMG_0108.jpg


IMG_0111.jpg



Thanks for lookin!
 

MRS HARMON

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

That looks really nice! No :2cents: from me (I don't have any yet!):rotf:
 

cobra198

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Well, yesterday we made it out to the junkyard. Picked up a new core support (cause the one that was on the Ty was all cut up) and picked up some wiring stuff. Also got the flex coupler for the crossover in the mail at the end of the week. Now we can finish the crossover, mount up the core support, and start on some wiring. We will see when there is time to work on it again!
 

bezerk

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

you need to duplicate those headers!! looking real good!
 

eviltwin

"junkyard syclone"
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

you need to duplicate those headers!! looking real good!

Taking bids right now for some.....kidding. On that note though, I would suggest to anyone that has the time or patients to build some they should. At the end it is very fun and rewarding to see what you have done :tup:

just a quick update too. With the turbo where it was in these pics it would have been alittle too close to the hood when closed. So we lowered it on Saturday about an inch. Also, there should be a really good update this weekend.
 

cobra198

New member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Did some good work today. Finished the crossover, made the downpipe, and mounted the wastegate. Love they way its lookin right now. Going to be even better once we get the BOV mounted in there too...

IMG_0128.jpg


IMG_0123.jpg


IMG_0126.jpg


IMG_0124.jpg


IMG_0122.jpg
 

Daron

Active member
Re: 5.3/4L80E Single Turbo Typhoon Build

Did some good work today. Finished the crossover, made the downpipe, and mounted the wastegate. Love they way its lookin right now. Going to be even better once we get the BOV mounted in there too..

lookin good
 
Top